·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Do I spy a Two Bros exhaust????

·
2 > 4
371 Posts
[email protected]!!..looks clean :)

The people here are going to drill you for choosing that bike as a starter bike, so be ready to shake your head a lot (although listen to their advice, a lot of people here have been riding/racing forever)...I did the same, bought a L6 750 as my first bike... but so glad that I did.

Try to tame your inner adrenaline-junky self (which is near to impossible on these bikes, but try because it sucks looking at your pretty bike when it's un-ridable and in pieces).

I crashed 3 months in, got super lucky and only broke one rib and a butt-load of bruises (I had on a padded motorcycle jacket, helmet, nice riding gloves, motorcycle pants, and thick leather high top shoes).. and only caused cosmetic damages to my bike. But even as lucky as I was, I still was out around $600, two days of work, and a month of constant pain.

Learn from others mistakes, it's a lot less painful and way less expensive. Watch crash videos and figure out how the crash could have been avoided. Chances are you are going to go down sometime, but how you go down can be the difference.

AND WEAR F#CKING GEAR!

Anyways, welcome and ride safe. :cheers Don't be a douche.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks pretty! Nice bike and take care of it and yourself. Always gear up no matter the distance. Keep posting pics especially when you change that crap exhaust haha have fun with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
[email protected]!!..looks clean :)

The people here are going to drill you for choosing that bike as a starter bike, so be ready to shake your head a lot (although listen to their advice, a lot of people here have been riding/racing forever)...I did the same, bought a L6 750 as my first bike... but so glad that I did.

Try to tame your inner adrenaline-junky self (which is near to impossible on these bikes, but try because it sucks looking at your pretty bike when it's un-ridable and in pieces).

I crashed 3 months in, got super lucky and only broke one rib and a butt-load of bruises (I had on a padded motorcycle jacket, helmet, nice riding gloves, motorcycle pants, and thick leather high top shoes).. and only caused cosmetic damages to my bike. But even as lucky as I was, I still was out around $600, two days of work, and a month of constant pain.

Learn from others mistakes, it's a lot less painful and way less expensive. Watch crash videos and figure out how the crash could have been avoided. Chances are you are going to go down sometime, but how you go down can be the difference.

AND WEAR F#CKING GEAR!

Anyways, welcome and ride safe. :cheers Don't be a douche.
Thanks for sharing. This is exactly why we preach the stuff we do. Some don't crash, but here is an example of someone who did. Thankfully he wasn't more seriously injured but he could have been.

Also an important point that we continue to hammer is that it's not all about self control. It's about your lack of skill. Skills that can more quickly be honed and mastered on a smaller more forgiving bike that doesn't multiply your mistakes as the R bikes can do.

And since we are talking gear, if you choose to keep this bike and ride it you should be in nothing but full leathers, proper boots, gloves with good palm protection and a high quality helmet. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks.. guys,I really take my time with her. No crazy shit. I dont have the luxury like most people to start off on a small bike then trade it in for the bike I want some do I dont. So I really sat and thought about it a long time even had a conversation with my son about my decision. I am very happy with my decision she is a great bike.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Thanks.. guys,I really take my time with her. No crazy shit. I dont have the luxury like most people to start off on a small bike then trade it in for the bike I want some do I dont. So I really sat and thought about it a long time even had a conversation with my son about my decision. I am very happy with my decision she is a great bike.
Luxury? Has absolutely zero to do with luxury. It's called common sense and self-preservation. :facepalm
Glad your son approved and you are proud of your monumental failure choosing a GSXR-750 as your first bike. Enjoy :thumbup

·
Registered
38 Posts
While I could care less about your decision to get a 750 as your first bike , your inability to afford a begonners bike is not a very good reason. If you can't stand to lose around 250 to $500 on a newer 250 - 500 CC bike to learn on. Then maybe having a Super Sport or even just a motorcycle in general is not a good thing considering it's almost exclusively a very expensive Hobby.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Beautiful bike. I rode a 500 twin for a few years before getting a big bike. Everyone makes their own decisions and you're probably aware of the insanity you just signed up for... but I will echo previous statements that it's not JUST about control. It's about muscle memory and practice. Things happen in milliseconds, and your body reacts literally before your brain has a chance to get involved. Only way to overcome that is through constant practice, and slowly building up your muscle memory. Mistakes WILL be made (we all make them), and on that bike the consequences will be very harsh.

I don't know your circumstances and maybe "luxury" doesn't have to do with money, but health, or something else. I wish you the best and encourage you to do what I did and spend a lot of time in parking lots and "safe places" just driving around and getting as many miles and hours under your belt as possible in the safest place possible.

Fact is, all motorcycles are dangerous, but there is a spectrum and you're at the top of it. ;) But I've had enough people in my life trying to convince me that even getting on a bike of any kind is stupid, bad parenting, reckless, selfish, inconsiderate and all other types of things. We all make our own choices. But if you see a 250/500 come up for cheap or a friend has a bike to lend, it really couldn't hurt to get something smaller for daily commuting and getting practice in. It's actually a ton of fun because you can relax a bit more on a smaller bike, and preserve the life of your beautiful GSXR a bit too. :) Ride safe brother!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts