Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new so bare with me.

A few weeks ago while riding in the rain my bike completely died on me. When I went to try to start it again it would just crank and then completely die (i mean completely die the system would restart almost as if I turned the key to off and then back on again). I did some testing on the bike with a new battery and saw that the battery wasn't holding charge. I tested the stator/alternator and saw that when i reved the bike the a.c. voltage went up... so i figured the stator was good.

So i replaced the rectifier. The bike seemed fine. The new battery held voltage and went up when i reved the engine (slightly) Also my voltage across the battery read about 14volts, maybe too much? The bike also started right up no problems.

I rode the bike for two days.... around... 50 miles or so. After getting gas i tried to turn on the bike. it tried to start i hear like one crank and then completely dies as it did before. (almost as if i turn the key off to on). I push started the bike and it seemed to run fine and then again when i got home and turned it off it wouldnt start.

I left it and then went back a few hours later and push started the bike again and it started. right after it started i shut it off and tried to start it again and it did. Then with it running i got a reading across the battery and it was at 11.2 volts (a little low ) but it seemed steady at that voltage. Now the bike was running for some time, and i shut it off and tried to start it again and it wouldn't (did the same as before). I left the bike on but not running and read the voltage across the battery and the voltage was dropping i thought pretty quickly around .2 volts per second. The lights began to dim and the dashboard lights as well.

NOTE: i also changed the spark plugs when i changed the rectifier.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The bike is not charging.
11.2 volts is a dead, dead battery. A fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts, a 25% charged battery is 11.6 volts.

Charge your battery, then check the voltage across the battery when the bike is running about 5000 rpm. It should be 14.0 to 15.5 volts.

If not, troubleshoot using the service manual or else there is a chart somewhere on the forum.

If you don't have a service manual, download one for free at : www.servicemanualsgsxr.com

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try.

I am going to take off rectifier and see if it is fried. the other rectifier had two wire burns protruding from the black gloop that seals the elctrics.

the battery reads 11.3

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Any other suggestions?
Hmmm. Not enough suggestions. How about:

Checking the air in your tires.
Replacing the headlight bulb.
Adding LEDs to the frame.
Carbon tank protector?

If you do all these then YOUR BATTERY IS STILL DEAD!

You might consider taking it to a mechanic. I think this is my last suggestion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem, I opened up the Stator and it seemed a bit burned and needs replacing. When you tested the stator did you do it across all 3 wires?

I suspect the stator give you enough power to keep the system going (more or less) with a push start but not enough to charge the battery. (So you don't have power across all 3 stator wires.

Whilst the bike is running you should get about 13v to 14v to the battery.

I've ordered my new stator and basically have to charge my battery over night to give me a start" or two for the day....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to both of you. i will test the stator again, and the rectifier if they seem good i will assume their is a draw in the electrical system and start testing one connection at a time. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
once started should the bike run without a battery??
Do not run the bike without the battery. I acts as a "shock absorber" in the electrical system and smooths out highs and lows. You risk damaging expensive components.

Saying all that, I'm guessing it should run at higher rpm but probably not at idle as the voltage may drop too far.

If your trying to see if your charging system is working, use a voltmeter and the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tested the stator and rectifier. The stator gives out almost the exact a.c. that is stated in the haynes manual, and the rectifier gives out slightly more d.c then what is stated in the haynes manual.

I start the bike and the charging system and battery seem fine i get 14.6 volts across the battery. Maybe two to five minutes into the bike running the voltage DROPS to maybe 12.8 volts and then steadily begins to drop from there.

I think I am taking it to Suzuki tomorrow. The guy says he "guarantees" they can find out what is wrong with it in 1 hour ($105!!!!). If he can find out whats wrong with it then fine.

Open to any more advice. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Read your service manual. Pgs 420-423. It will tell you EXACTLY how to find the problem. If you're not comfortable doing what it says, you should probably take it in to a shop. I'm not an electrical expert by any means and I just went through this tonight, on my own, no problems. It's easy to follow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the haynes service manual. the pages arent numbered just broken up into sections. where could i get a copy of "the" service manual?

·
Registered
1 Posts
disregard i got a copy of the service manual. i will take a look.
I have the haynes service manual. the pages arent numbered just broken up into sections. where could i get a copy of "the" service manual?
disregard i got a copy of the service manual. i will take a look.
What was the outcome of this? My 2010 has same problem and nobody has been able to diagnose it. Both times it was in shop they told me there was no issue as my bike didn't not "act up" for them. The issue remains unresolved and I am unable to ride as it is not reliable.

·
17,010 Posts
What was the outcome of this? My 2010 has same problem and nobody has been able to diagnose it. Both times it was in shop they told me there was no issue as my bike didn't not "act up" for them. The issue remains unresolved and I am unable to ride as it is not reliable.

You do realize this post is 6 years old and ALL of the folks who replied are gone?

Start a new thread in the bike specific section..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts