Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
I was thinking that you should have measured the compression and/or done a leakdown test. But too late now. I was going to comment that you either know more about working on engines than you were letting on or were getting significant advice from someone who does. Splitting the crankcase means that you'll have all the transmission & clutch parts to deal with. Keep things organized and take lots of pics. Many tools are needed that aren't found in a typical toolbox.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did a compression test and it was: left to right, 205,191,195,204. Because the compression is ok I didn't bother with a leakdown test? A friend came by last night and measured each cylinder for oval variation. There was not significant difference in either direction. With the pistons at the lowest position we could only measure that far down into the cylinder? I cleaned up the valves yesterday and they seem in ok condition but all were carbon encrusted with the exhaust being much worse. The tops of the pistons had some carbon build up but not that I couldn't use a brass brush in my drill to clean them up. I'm wondering what material is used to sleeve the cylinders? If it's of a certain type (not sure what it's called) I would have to ship the motor to Vancouver where special equipment is, in order to hone and re ring, if that's what I decide to do? As for knowing more about engines than letting on, I do some things on our car and truck, but never anything internal. I did,with help do a valve check and cam chain tensioner replacement on my FJR in 2009. That was at a fellows house near Seattle whom I met on the FJR Forum. He hosted twice annual get together's to work on your own bike with others who either had experience or wanted to learn more about their own bikes. It was and still is a great fraternity. I do appreciate your input here on this forum, reading your responses I can see you know a heck of a lot more than me so thank-you!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
3 Participants
Griff67
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing