Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, long time lurker

2007 gsxr 750

I've had this recurring issue for a while.

I was riding my bike HARD the other day, its legs was stretched and it was performing awesome.
Then all of a sudden on the same ride when cruising at lower speed around town my speedo guages dimmed, showed my speed as 0, my rpm as 0 and my gear indicator didnt change. Then the bike coughed and sputtered, i needed to keep the revs high and in low gear to keep the bike alive.

I managed to pull into a parking area and the bike shut off. It wouldn't start - had a weak turn over.

I managed to get it 3/4 of the way home and had to bump start / push it the rest.
I was able to let it idle outside my garage confusingly.

I had this issue a few weeks ago - after usually a spirited ride the bike would show signs of weak or dead battery and just die without being able to restart or bump start.

This now bike has a near-new battery, the stator and regulator were diagnosed as the cause and were replaced in the most recent service - this service fixed the problem for only a few weeks.

I now have the battery on a tender overnight now but I'm not sure what to do.

All the symptoms would point to bad battery, bad regulator and bad stator however these are nearly new items.

Another symptom the bike's had is that at between 3500-4000/redline rpms the bike's throttle response was like a light switch - would halt and then jump up as if i was cranking my wrist back - if I held the throttle at this rpm it would make a brrrt sound - a bit like blowing a raspberry with your lips (msifire?)

What might be the issue?

edit:
I have checked the fuses but not yet the main fuse.

I did a voltage test after I fully charged the battery (speedo now bright not dim)
13.4V - key ignition off
13.1 - key ign on, Killswitch off, dropping to 12.5 and sits at 12.4
12.4 - key ignition on, Killswitch on, sits at 12.4
~12.2 - engine fired up sits around this voltage

holding 5,000RPM - dropped as low as 10V for a moment, sits between 11.5V and 12.x V

My issue may be similar to this thread:
Bike shuts off/speedometer doesn't work | Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,132 Posts
I'd agree with Twisted except that you say that everything is new. You might have a bad electrical contact somewhere. Your dealer mode connector ought to have 12 V and ground pins. There are cheap/small/portable voltmeters on ebay that could be connected to monitor the voltage while you ride. Just mount it on the tank with duct tape or something. It ought to give you some insight into what's going on. I'd prefer a 3 1/2 digit display so as to measure to .01 V but that requires something a bit larger.

· Registered
234 Posts
Not charging. Your voltage tests indicated that. You can test the stator output and it should be more than double the DC voltage. Like, as a general rule 50 V AC when reved up a bit. This is not GSXR specific so you can check a manual. This will let you know if it's the stator or reg.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,132 Posts
Make sure your battery cable connections are good. Then check the connector between the main harness and the R/R as well as between the R/R and the stator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts