Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Recently joined because I acquired a 2006 1k with 9k miles that has been sitting since 2012 and was slowly parted out so it was missing a few major parts. Ecu, tank, gauges, key (bike sat in lock position)

got lucky and found another 2006 with spun rod, took all the parts needed for main bike and sold off very next day.

finally having the vital parts to start the bike….yayyyyy right? NOPE!!!! Crank but no start. FML! Pull codes, C11! Sighs, order camshaft position sensor, waited 1 week, part arrived! Vroommmmm!!! Smoke everywhere! That was expected. After 15 mins of running smoke finally clears. May have to adjust/clean/replace TPS, idles fine just when rev, it dips low and cuts off.

anywho, need minor bits and pieces, wheel spacers, set of wheels, already ordered steel lines, levers, motul oil, engine ice, clip on,
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Attachments

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Hello all! Recently joined because I acquired a 2006 1k with 9k miles that has been sitting since 2012 and was slowly parted out so it was missing a few major parts. Ecu, tank, gauges, key (bike sat in lock position)

got lucky and found another 2006 with spun rod, took all the parts needed for main bike and sold off very next day.

finally having the vital parts to start the bike….yayyyyy right? NOPE!!!! Crank but no start. FML! Pull codes, C11! Sighs, order camshaft position sensor, waited 1 week, part arrived! Vroommmmm!!! Smoke everywhere! That was expected. After 15 mins of running smoke finally clears. May have to adjust/clean/replace TPS, idles fine just when rev, it dips low and cuts off.

anywho, need minor bits and pieces, wheel spacers, set of wheels, already ordered steel lines, levers, motul oil, engine ice, clip on, View attachment 579788
View attachment 579790
View attachment 579777
Resurrection time!!! Congrats on the find Good luck with the rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,547 Posts
Why does that exhaust can not line-up... or look like the ones on either of my K6 1Ks?

I love the assortment, with the S1K and the ruckus :p

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,826 Posts
Is that a K7/K8 muffler? You sold the extended swingarm? It looks like the airbox is covered with some insulating foil. I'm of the opinion that it's too thin to offer any real benefit.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
It seems missing the frame brace? If yes, contact your local Suzuki dealer to get it done and also the M/C recall.

·
Registered
972 Posts
A Pimpstretcher being reborn, there is stil some good in the world

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,547 Posts
Is that a K7/K8 muffler? You sold the extended swingarm? It looks like the airbox is covered with some insulating foil. I'm of the opinion that it's too thin to offer any real benefit.
Yep, clearly that can is missing midpipe, which wasn't present on a K5-6.

·
9,826 Posts
Hard to tell but his second pic seems to show the line from the MC reservoir going into the top of the MC instead of the front (the lever is aftermarket). That would be the recall part. Strange to have the recall MC but not the frame brace, maybe due to mixing two bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I did not receive any notifications from this post. I was unaware of the frame recall? I would probably have to have it titled under my name to get the recall done? I have the title, but since I was tracking it, I didn't want to pay for the ridiculous dmv fees and taxes and such for the title to be just under my name.

So from these comments, there are two recalls? One for the frame and one for the M/C?

Also about the pipe, not sure what year that pipe that is mocked up on the bike in the pic is from, I put it on there to muffle out some of the sound of not having a exhaust on it. It currently has a yosh can on it. Got a few things done to it over the past few days, will be updating this thread accordingly.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Sorry guys, I did not receive any notifications from this post. I was unaware of the frame recall? I would probably have to have it titled under my name to get the recall done? I have the title, but since I was tracking it, I didn't want to pay for the ridiculous dmv fees and taxes and such for the title to be just under my name.

So from these comments, there are two recalls? One for the frame and one for the M/C?

Also about the pipe, not sure what year that pipe that is mocked up on the bike in the pic is from, I put it on there to muffle out some of the sound of not having a exhaust on it. It currently has a yosh can on it. Got a few things done to it over the past few days, will be updating this thread accordingly.
There is a website where you can type in your vin and it will tell you if you’ve had the recall done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a website where you can type in your vin and it will tell you if you’ve had the recall done.

Thank you for that, I guess I do have both of the recalls open on it. guess I won't add fluids to my brakes after I did my steel lines last night, the dealer should have to do that when replacing my MC. lol

·
9,826 Posts
You can also check here. About half way down are links to documents by Suzuki (recall instructions, notices, etc.). It's been my experience that Suzuki will not compensate you if you've already replaced the defective parts, though NHTSA rules require them to do so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can also check here. About half way down are links to documents by Suzuki (recall instructions, notices, etc.). It's been my experience that Suzuki will not compensate you if you've already replaced the defective parts, though NHTSA rules require them to do so.
Thanks for the heads up. I’m in pretty decent with the service writer and he basically just seen they were open recalls and went ahead and ordered parts for the recalls and accepted pictures I sent To him of my frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheels are on the way, waiting for those to come so I can Ride it around the block some prior to changing the oil. (Motul 300v). Also will be swapping out to engine ice as well. For brake fluid, I’ll be running motul 660. Still unsure of what pads I want to go with. Do you think the brembo calipers from my 2016 bmw s1000rr will swap over?

·
9,826 Posts
The K5-K8 1000 calipers aren't very good. The Tokico monobloc calipers on K9-L1 1000 are a nice upgrade, use the same pads, and bolt on. But you'll also have to change the MC to a 17 mm size. The Suzuki MC for those years will work but the Brembo 17RCS is attractive.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The K5-K8 1000 calipers aren't very good. The Tokico monobloc calipers on K9-L1 1000 are a nice upgrade, use the same pads, and bolt on. But you'll also have to change the MC to a 17 mm size. The Suzuki MC for those years will work but the Brembo 17RCS is attractive.
i run the standard callipers on my k5 race bike paired with Brembo fully floating discs, brembo pads and a brembo master cylinder, braided lines. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with these callipers. They are not the limiting point. My braking performance is phenomenal.

·
9,826 Posts
"Believe me, ..."
I don't. See this. Mike Edwards knows what he's talking about. That was eleven years ago and, if anything, opinions of them have dropped. You seem to be the only one who likes them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No, you know what I’ll stand by my statement. I don’t care what level your running. The braking system on my bike is plenty. With the exception of wsbk or motogp I do not understand how anyone would want more. The callipers are not the limiting factor. The master cylinder is. I had a state racer ride my bike last weekend and he even labelled my brakes phenomenal. So yeah if your Valentino or want the shiny bits, go for it but if your sticking with stock sized rotors and a stock master cylinder it’s IMO a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts