Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, so I managed to test the pressure with the fuel pump. According to the official Suzuki Service Manual it says that it should be putting out 43psi. However and curiously, after the bike was warmed up, when I revved it, it went and held at around 48psi. Shouldn't it have went the other way?? Additionally, if my fuel pump was the problem, why is the bike only giving an issue when it's really warm instead of constantly? I'm wondering if maybe it's the regulator? What is everyone's thoughts? I can post a video of it, but it's not that clear unfortunately.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Okay, so I managed to test the pressure with the fuel pump. According to the official Suzuki Service Manual it says that it should be putting out 43psi. However and curiously, after the bike was warmed up, when I revved it, it went and held at around 48psi. Shouldn't it have went the other way?? Additionally, if my fuel pump was the problem, why is the bike only giving an issue when it's really warm instead of constantly? I'm wondering if maybe it's the regulator? What is everyone's thoughts? I can post a video of it, but it's not that clear unfortunately.
No one said to test pressure, why are you testing pressure?
Go back, read the thread, follow the instructions.

·
Registered
388 Posts
$10 says it’s because the bike had the stator cover replaced.
What does that have to do with anything?? Random LOL.

I’ve had a Woodcraft stator cover almost as long as I’ve had the bike, zero issues.

I’ll inbox you my details so you can PayPal that $10... haha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fuel starvation, from the pump not running or otherwise, does not trigger the CHEC message on the dash.

The OPs ECM is shutting down for some reason.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No one said to test pressure, why are you testing pressure?
Go back, read the thread, follow the instructions.
So, Nick are you being a dick for the sheer sake of it, or do you actually have something constructive to add? I have been trying to troubleshoot my issue and checking the pressure is something I did to test the fuel pump. If you only have $.02 to add worth of snarky commentary go troll elsewhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Fuel starvation, from the pump not running or otherwise, does not trigger the CHEC message on the dash.

The OPs ECM is shutting down for some reason.
Thanks Clipper. I decided to take my bike to a shop. I’ll share this with them.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
We didn't ask for a fuel pressure measurement but 48 psi is too high. Something's not right there. But first make sure that your gauge is reading correctly. Did you install the PCIII? One possibility is that the pressure regulator was modified/dicked with when the PCIII was installed. Not good if that actually happened.

CHEC only appears when the cluster isn't getting data from the ECM and that normally means that the ECM isn't getting power. Your statement "It shows it the moment it dies, but it’s only reading -C00" doesn't make that much sense. You only get -C00 when the ECM has power and you're in dealer mode. Normally you see CHEC when the ECM isn't getting power and either the temperature or FI when it is. See 3-13 in the owner's manual.

Clipper's suggestion in #17 is a good one. It's fairly easy to connect a 12 V LED to some lines that run to the O/W and B/W pins on the dealer mode connector. You can locate the LED where you can watch it while riding. Just use duct tape to hold the LED and lines in place. There's a problem with power to the ECM if it ever goes out while you're riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone, my Gixxer Thou died on me out of the blue last Thursday while I was out riding. As I was pulling away from a light in 1st, I experienced some kind of an immediate drop in power like it bogged out, but shook it off, yet once I hit 3rd the bike died. I couldn't start it again for a few minutes after that either. It happened to me two more times the exact same way immediately after. The bike is not throwing a code, and it will idle for 15min perfectly fine. However, when I try to ride down the road within a couple to a few minutes it dies. I'm confused and need some help....:gaah Thanks in advance.
Might have a bad fuel pump or filter maybe clogged. Check for spark as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bldfeather21,

This is somewhat of a common/uncommon problem on the Hayabusa board and one which I have personally experienced and been able overcome

I'll add A link below with a lot of good pictures and give you a little commentary here.

I believe you have a fuel delivery problem.

But what most people don't understand is that the screen at the bottom of the pump is a FUEL STRAINER SCREEN and not the fuel filter

The fuel filter is the plastic piece that surrounds the fuel pump and holds the fuel pressure regulator (see part number 15410-41G00) "I'm not suggesting that you buy a new fuel filter for $340, there's a way to backwash it. I only make note of this. So you understand the verbiage of the parts catalog to be able to differentiate references to screen verse fuel filter.

So basically it's pretty simple;

Remove fuel pump assembly.
Disassemble fuel pump assembly
Replace the fuel strainer screen.
Clean the bottom trap.
Further disassemble the fuel pump assembly to free fuel filter .
Carefully remove fuel pressure regulator (inspect for dirt and crud around the little holes and flush out).
Backwash fuel filter and regulator with a water hose repeat 3 to 5 times.
Air dry or apply compressed air lightly.
Reassemble

Now there's one additional step that I would highly recommend which is:

Replace the fuel injector Micro filter baskets(very inexpensive like $12 for 100 or as a kit with all the O-rings on eBay)

Backwash instructions with pictures: (I usually just run a hose through. I don't think you need to do anything else. I do it 3 – 5 times times and let it air dry).

I hope this helps.

Please let us know.

Regards,

F-18 driver

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
Canon Carver
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing