Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, my Gixxer Thou died on me out of the blue last Thursday while I was out riding. As I was pulling away from a light in 1st, I experienced some kind of an immediate drop in power like it bogged out, but shook it off, yet once I hit 3rd the bike died. I couldn't start it again for a few minutes after that either. It happened to me two more times the exact same way immediately after. The bike is not throwing a code, and it will idle for 15min perfectly fine. However, when I try to ride down the road within a couple to a few minutes it dies. I'm confused and need some help....:gaah Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, there's several things to check, is it turning over, is it still running - then dying ?if not has it got spark, fuel pump working- you should hear it priming when turning key on, if it is, youll need to check its getting into the injectors, check your fuses for ign fault, after that it gets more complicated, how mechanical are you
it may be better to take it to a mechanic

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
$10 says it’s because the bike had the stator cover replaced.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
Has any work been done or parts replaced on the bike recently?

Does the cluster go blank when it dies?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next time it happens, don't touch the kill switch, ignition switch or anything else, just try to crank the motor over on the starter while CHEC is still displayed.

Does the starter motor spin or not?

The bike will turn over all day, but will not start. I have to turn the ignition switch off and turn back on before I can get it to start again. Once the bike dies initially, it will not start back up unless I do that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I started the bike today, it ran fine until it got really warm than I had the same symptoms as stated above. The bike idled fine for over 15min and then I took it for a spin. It ran fine for a bit, but then after about 20min out there the same scenario I've been dealing with came back.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has any work been done or parts replaced on the bike recently?

Does the cluster go blank when it dies?

No, and no it doesn't. I'm stumped. If it was a fuel pump issue wouldn't the bike have the same issue when it was cold 'and' hot, not just when it was hot?

·
7,580 Posts
It sounds like a fuel supply issue. The fuel line can get kinked but that normally requires that the tank be raised/lowered and you said that you haven't been working on it. The more common issue is that the fuel pump's main filter gets loaded up with crap. The way to tell is to do the flow test described on 5-5 of the service manual. It happens so often that you need to remove it as a possibility before going any further. Not practical on the road but if it won't start when you're home, try priming it through the throttle bodies to see if it will briefly run. Other possibilities are clogged injectors, the kickstand switch is being opened (loose pivot or missing spring), and the tipover switch is improperly mounted.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like a fuel supply issue. The fuel line can get kinked but that normally requires that the tank be raised/lowered and you said that you haven't been working on it. The more common issue is that the fuel pump's main filter gets loaded up with crap. The way to tell is to do the flow test described on 5-5 of the service manual. It happens so often that you need to remove it as a possibility before going any further. Not practical on the road but if it won't start when you're home, try priming it through the throttle bodies to see if it will briefly run. Other possibilities are clogged injectors, the kickstand switch is being opened (loose pivot or missing spring), and the tipover switch is improperly mounted.

Thanks for these suggestions Bill. I will look into this and get back to you. Any thoughts on if maybe my PCIII is going bad?? I had it installed in 2006 when I did my other mods and tune, but have had zero problems until this one here.

·
7,580 Posts
I gather that the PCIII is installed by unplugging the injector connectors, plugging them into the PCIII, and the PCIII into the coils. So it should be easy to get it out of the way by going back to the original setup. If so, you ought to do that, at least on the primaries, as it's one less thing to wonder about.

Don't know how likely it is but it's possible that it gets warm and shuts down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No ignition, CHEC message on the dash but starter motor button live. As far as I know this situation can only happen when the interlock circuit (sidestand switch / relay and kill switch) is live but the ECM is not getting power through the orange and white or orange and green wire, possibly pin 17.
I suggest that you set up a voltage monitor or test lamp to monitor the power on this wire as you ride. Easiest place to plug into this wire is at the dealer mode connector.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Remove the PCIII and see if the problem is resolved. While you're in there, do the fuel flow test. You can kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust installed on the bike?
Had a Kawasaki with the PCIII that was doing the exact same thing. Turned out the baffle in the muffler was loose and when it would shift inside the can the bike would die.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
Canon Carver
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing