Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this bike up back in April of this year as a fixxer.(2019') It was involved in a low speed crash on semi-icey conditions and was all cosmetic exept for it needing a new stator, flywheel and stator cover along with the voltage regulator/rectifier.( It had been relocated to the opening in the side cowling and extended to reach cooler airflow) ...as we all know needs to be done on Gixxers. In the crash , the bike had slid on the pavement until it hit the curb and it flipped only to stop "fuel tank first" into a fire hydrant. Smashing the fuel tank down to the frame rails. No damage to frame. So when I got it, I was told he had purchased everything needed to make the bike street ready. So I disassembled what wasn't already off and boxed up and started from scratch. (I recently sold my motorcycle repair shop to retire eary. So I know most things about bikes although my shop specialized in older models as there has a high demand in this area) Fuel Injection , I will admit is not one of the systems I had alot of experience in. "Thankfully we have these type of forums". When I was reassembling the bike one of the parts I didn't notice that was missing was the upper half of the air box assembly. And after getting everything together and ready for its first test start, , I had only one sub-harness/ plug that I could not find a home for. "Intake air temp sensor" ..... Bike fired right up , runs great, and it hauls the mail when your right wrist over powers your sense of reason and keeps twist that throtlle until there's nothing left to twist. But I have the C21 code. Is there any way to delete this sensor or is it a main factor in the ecm's fuel management system and needs to be in place? The reason I ask is that I can fabricate with the best of them and I made my own air box cover but it's not an exact replica of the stock OEM part and I hadn't yet looked closely to pictures of the location of the sensor in question. Thanks for reading my long (probably over detailed questions) and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,093 Posts
The sensor provides an important factor in calculating fueling. As to whether it's necessary, it depends on how you interpret the term. In its absence the ECU will assume a "reasonable" fixed ambient temperature, which will naturally be way off on hottest or colder days. The engine will still work probably, but in that sense it'll work if you remove most sensors.

I'd replace the part. You can probably get it along with a used airbox pretty cheaply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
dpapavas
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing