Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, this sucks. i have a cali version of the 2006 gsxr1k. i wanted a black tank so i bought one from ebay from a k5 not knowing that the cali tanks and 49 state tanks are different. does anyone here know what i need to do to make the 49 state tank work for my cali bike? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
The cap venting is where it will be different. If it is, I'm not sure you can mod the CA cap to work. Failing to get it right is usually a fucking disaster. See if you can score a 49 state cap. That should get you done.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Doesn't the Cali bike have an extra vapor capture canister that uses up some space in the tank? I.E. the tank is lower capacity. If that's so, I don't see how you could make it work without removing these extra parts.

I'm not 100% on this, but thought I'd read that someplace.

·
Registered
386 Posts
rhdek9 said:
okay, this sucks. i have a cali version of the 2006 gsxr1k. i wanted a black tank so i bought one from ebay from a k5 not knowing that the cali tanks and 49 state tanks are different. does anyone here know what i need to do to make the 49 state tank work for my cali bike? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
nothing

tank should fit your ca bike

only difference is a vent valve - you won't miss it

·
Registered
157 Posts
It will work if you remove the extra hose that goes to the vapor canister that's in the tail section. Take all that hose out and the canister too. When you put the gas cap back on you have to switch sides with the short & long allen bolts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
canyon crazy said:
It will work if you remove the extra hose that goes to the vapor canister that's in the tail section. Take all that hose out and the canister too. When you put the gas cap back on you have to switch sides with the short & long allen bolts.

do i need to replace that with a different canister or will everything be okay with out it? talked to some guy and he said that i can just take everything out and just plug the hoses. is that true? will it be safe? i don't want to be in a middle of a ride and something happens...

ps: guy does not own a k5/k6

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes, you can remove the entire evap system but you will need to use a resistor(believe it's about 20 ohms) in place of the purge solenoid. that will keep the f/i light from coming on. my sv1000 is a cali spec and they had problems with the evap vent tube in the tank breaking and allowing fuel to enter canister-mine actually hydrauliced because it fill the airbox with fuel. just cap off the vent on the tank and plug the vacuum line to the engine and all will be well.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
rodman said:
Another reason not to live in Cali.
I won't debate that wrong or right, but the difference in CA Gixxers and the rest is much less than bikes used to have, so it's really a good thing.

Used to CA bikes had different cams, and other changs that usually resulted in less power. Not cool.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The most important thing is to vent the tank like Palmotarian was saying. The 49 state cap has a vent where the CA cap is sealed so that it forces the fumes thru the extra tank fitting and into the cannister. You will end up with a sealed system and your tank can collapse on you in cold weather not to metion the bike wont run when the fuel pump cant overcome the vaccuum. Caps are on ebay but can get expensive, but you can swap over your lock cylinder. The easiest thing to do is get a non locking cap for like a race bike, they usually come with a venting optoin. If you get one off a crashed biked that is wadded up that is a good option cause you can take them apart and put in the couple 49 state bits that make if vent, I have done that before.

You were told correctly to just dump the existing evap. All you need to do is plug the tee for the lines that lead to each of the throttle bodies. If you anal you can pull the lines and cap each TB but its easier to just leave the lines and cap the tee where they connect (which then goes to the cannister).

The key is not to just slap that tank on with your cap and remove the evap, or else bad things will happen

·
4-gear fast guy
258 Posts
erixgix said:
The most important thing is to vent the tank like Palmotarian was saying. The 49 state cap has a vent where the CA cap is sealed so that it forces the fumes thru the extra tank fitting and into the cannister. You will end up with a sealed system and your tank can collapse on you in cold weather not to metion the bike wont run when the fuel pump cant overcome the vaccuum. Caps are on ebay but can get expensive, but you can swap over your lock cylinder. The easiest thing to do is get a non locking cap for like a race bike, they usually come with a venting optoin. If you get one off a crashed biked that is wadded up that is a good option cause you can take them apart and put in the couple 49 state bits that make if vent, I have done that before.

You were told correctly to just dump the existing evap. All you need to do is plug the tee for the lines that lead to each of the throttle bodies. If you anal you can pull the lines and cap each TB but its easier to just leave the lines and cap the tee where they connect (which then goes to the cannister).

The key is not to just slap that tank on with your cap and remove the evap, or else bad things will happen
I bought a tank off Ebay for my '05. I didn't realize until I started hooking it up that it was a 49 stater. I don't know if it's the case with all of them, but I found that the tabs on the front end were shorter than those on my Cali version. Meaning: the tank had to be pushed up closer towards the top triple to get the bolts in.

I use a Scotts damper, and I couldn't get the pin bracket to fit in the narrow space between the tank and the damper's stearing head nut collar without it rubbing when turning the bars. So, I wound up having to grind down one side of the bracket, just below the pin, for it to work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zippy994 said:
I bought a tank off Ebay for my '05. I didn't realize until I started hooking it up that it was a 49 stater. I don't know if it's the case with all of them, but I found that the tabs on the front end were shorter than those on my Cali version. Meaning: the tank had to be pushed up closer towards the top triple to get the bolts in.

I use a Scotts damper, and I couldn't get the pin bracket to fit in the narrow space between the tank and the damper's stearing head nut collar without it rubbing when turning the bars. So, I wound up having to grind down one side of the bracket, just below the pin, for it to work.
i actually noticed that too, didn't bother me much though since i don't have an aftermarket sterring damper....yet....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zippy994 said:

this is gonna make me sound suck a noob, but...what cap are we talking about here?:scratch as in the gas cap? sorry for the newb question...

·
4-gear fast guy
258 Posts
rhdek9 said:
this is gonna make me sound suck a noob, but...what cap are we talking about here?:scratch as in the gas cap? sorry for the newb question...
Yep. And don't worry about noobie questions. Nobody's born knowing this stuff. In fact, this is the first I've heard of this venting issue myself.

I have a Vortex screw-on gas cap on my '05. Now I'm gonna look at mine to see about this venting thing. :scratch

Here's the link to Vortex: http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=directory&view=Products&class0=Fuel%20Cap

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
If it works, good for you. There have been a lot of funny stories related to improper tank venting. Everything from mysterious intermittent stalling to collapsed tanks. The point is to make sure you get it right when you fuck with that stuff.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
dont worry bro you will be just fine, i had a 49 state tank on my 02 1k and i ended up tossing the canister away anyway when i was setting up the bike... i had both the 49 state cap and cali cap.. i used the cali cap for 2 years without any problems. the only thing you will notice with the venting and the cali cap is you will hear a light whistle type of sound when you turn the bike off after a ride and that is due the venting and nothing more...

and as for the the guy claiming Cali has diff cams then 49 state bikes where did you get your info from??? last i checked the cams where the same and the ecu was the same as well... parts are interchangeable ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.