Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run into a problem when they pop the bike into first gear? I hear a grind first before the gear pops into place. Anyone else run into that issue? Yes, I do pull the clutch in before I pop it into first. It almost sounds like I'm not pulling the clutch though. Very strange. The service guy at the dealers said that I just need to pop into gear faster and more abruptly. He said I was putting it into gear too slow. Anyone???

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Mine doesn't do that but mine will "grind" when i take off sometimes, depending on how much gas i give it etc. It has done it since day one.

·
Registered
839 Posts
tuavale said:
Anyone run into a problem when they pop the bike into first gear? I hear a grind first before the gear pops into place. Anyone else run into that issue? Yes, I do pull the clutch in before I pop it into first. It almost sounds like I'm not pulling the clutch though. Very strange. The service guy at the dealers said that I just need to pop into gear faster and more abruptly. He said I was putting it into gear too slow. Anyone???

They all clunk a little when you put them in 1st from a stop but it shouldn't grind. Like the dealer told you, don't try to slide it in slow, pop it in more abrubtly. Don't rev the engine either, make sure it's at idle. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but is this your first bike? Every bike I've owned has done this in the past 15 years.

I think the other guy that posted has a different issue.. The notorious clutch issue.. If it sounds like it's grinding when you let the clutch out, that's a different problem all together. Hope this helped..:cheers

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Kick it down in to gear quickly so it makes a clunck. If you take off with too much throttle the clutch will slip and cause the shudder everyone talks about. The clutch is designed as a reverse slipper for the downshift not for a launch like a racecar. I have only adjusted the clutch once at about 5,000 miles. I now have 10,000 miles with no issues. Plus I upshift and downshift without the clutch.:cheers

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Thanks Nelson...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you try to put it in slow it will definitely grind. Especially if you have been riding it around. You need to stomp on it hard enough for it to clunk into first. Not really a stomp but a fast single motion, not a slow steady motion.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Big Worm said:
DAMN NOS!!!! 10,000 ALREADY!:cheers
i was at 10,000 miles after months, now i'm at around 15,500 miles.

i've noticed that if i rev the motor up and shift into first the bike makes a grinding sound, so i make sure not to do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.