Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I’m trying to lower my GSXR600, and I’m having a hell of a time trying to find anything. Does anybody have a lowered 2006 gsxr600 that can help me find links?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why would you want to lower a sport bike and degrade it's agility and cornering?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, if you are in the UK Lust Racing do lowering links. I lowered my K8 600 and I have also lowered my L6 750. Simply because I am 5ft and it helps to touch the floor! Then get your suspension set up properly and you will be good to go. As far as I am concerned there has been no difference in cornering or agility but then I don't use the bike on the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put Soupy's Performance links on my wife's K6. The results are excellent. The standard setting lowers the seat height about 3/4". I will experiment more with both ends to see. The steering was very slightly slowed but for her, the issue is moot, as is maximum cornering clearance. The good this is you can easily set the height back to stock.
I've used these before on her old NC700X, with no problems and again, excellent results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought a K6 600 and to my surprise it came with lowering links, although the previous owner never mentioned it having them. I don't know the brand but this is what they look like.
I think the setting it's on right now it's stock height but I'm not entirely sure. I think it goes stock, 2in or 4 inch drop. Can anyone confirm if the most left hole raises or lowers the bike?
links.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the left is the lowest setting. Stock height for the seat is 810mm so just measure it and you will know. Saying that though, a 4 inch drop would make for really low ground clearance and it doesn't look too close to the ground. Is it on a paddock stand? Did you get the original links with the bike? If you don't need those dog bones I would put the originals back on for safety's sake as I have never seen those ones before. Cheap makes can buckle. Also the side stand should have been cut? Start with shaving the seat if you need to and use links as a last resort. I am 5ft 2 with a 28inch inside leg and not very strong so lowering links are the lesser of 2 evils for me. I dropped my bike a couple times when I was taken out by cambers on the road so I prefer the stability of having my feet down. Even with a shaved seat, daytona boots and lowering links I am still only on the balls of my feet :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the left is the lowest setting. Stock height for the seat is 810mm so just measure it and you will know. Saying that though, a 4 inch drop would make for really low ground clearance and it doesn't look too close to the ground. Is it on a paddock stand? Did you get the original links with the bike? If you don't need those dog bones I would put the originals back on for safety's sake as I have never seen those ones before. Cheap makes can buckle. Also the side stand should have been cut? Start with shaving the seat if you need to and use links as a last resort. I am 5ft 2 with a 28inch inside leg and not very strong so lowering links are the lesser of 2 evils for me. I dropped my bike a couple times when I was taken out by cambers on the road so I prefer the stability of having my feet down. Even with a shaved seat, daytona boots and lowering links I am still only on the balls of my feet :(
Thanks brother, I'll measure and see what we got there. If anything I would only drop it 2". Unfortunately the bike did not come with the oem dog bones, It does say 7075 T6 on them so it should be high strength aerospace grade aluminum, but I hear you, thanks for the input. Never heard of shaved seats, how do you go about that? from the bottom part of the seat? do you buy a different seat altogether?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks brother, I'll measure and see what we got there. If anything I would only drop it 2". Unfortunately the bike did not come with the oem dog bones, It does say 7075 T6 on them so it should be high strength aerospace grade aluminum, but I hear you, thanks for the input. Never heard of shaved seats, how do you go about that? from the bottom part of the seat? do you buy a different seat altogether?
Lol, I'm a sister not a brother ? I know a guy who customises seats so he does mine for me. It doesn't cost much. You can take a good couple of inches off the height and a narrow the seat as well which helps. If you want to do it yourself there are plenty of vids on YouTube. Basically you take the staples out to remove the cover then get an electric bread cutter to sculpt the foam then restaple the cover back on. If done properly you would never know. Second hand seats are cheap on Ebay so if you ever sell you can always put an original seat back on. Here's a couple of pics. My old 600 and new 750. Both with the seat sculpted. Rougly 1.5 inches taken out. I have not noticed any difference in comfort either! Both bikes also lowered btw and no compromise on performance but then I only ride on the road not track.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,941 Posts
If you plan on lowering the bike, buy a different bike. Why in the world would you buy a sport bike only to ruin the entire purpose of its existence, which is to handle well?
Those links should be tossed on eBay for some squid and just buy OEM links.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am assuming you have ridden a lowered bike and therefore speak from experience? If the use is not track the difference in handling is minimal and I do speak from experience. My bike corners sweet as a nut. Why should I not ride what I want? I'd rather die than resort to, say, a Harley!!! More to the point, the average sports bike is set up for a male far heavier than me so there is no dip in suspension when I get on mine. The lowering links actually balance that out. Also, when done I took it to a sports performance shop and had the suspension reset to take into account my weight and the new height of the bike. If the manufacturers can't take into account the fact that people come in different shapes and sizes the next best thing is modify. And before you say Dani Pedrosa is only 5ft 2, he doesn't have to deal with pot holes, cambers, hill starts and traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol, I'm a sister not a brother ? I know a guy who customises seats so he does mine for me. It doesn't cost much. You can take a good couple of inches off the height and a narrow the seat as well which helps. If you want to do it yourself there are plenty of vids on YouTube. Basically you take the staples out to remove the cover then get an electric bread cutter to sculpt the foam then restaple the cover back on. If done properly you would never know. Second hand seats are cheap on Ebay so if you ever sell you can always put an original seat back on. Here's a couple of pics. My old 600 and new 750. Both with the seat sculpted. Rougly 1.5 inches taken out. I have not noticed any difference in comfort either! Both bikes also lowered btw and no compromise on performance but then I only ride on the road not track..
Thank you Maiya for the very detailed explanation. I'll look more into that. Your bike looks great btw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts