Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a few gaskets from a mail catalog and they sent me p/n 09168-14002 instead of 09168-14004, which is the part that I have always used for my bike.
In one occasion, however, also a Suzuki dealer wanted to sell me p/n 09168-14002. It looks like that some Suzuki part catalogs show p/n 09168-14002 as the correct part for my bike and some other Suzuki part catalogs show 09168-14004. I find this strange, because the two gaskets have different geometries. Could anybody provide some clarifications on this issue?
Thanks

· Registered
GSX-R750
287 Posts
Probably not a huge deal tbh. There are a few different shapes for oil drain bolt gaskets, and as long as what you use isn't too big or too small, or binds with the oil pan or something, it's probably fine. You're already ahead of the pack if you're using a new gasket every time.

My Ninja gets what ever gasket type I have in the tool box. I have bought packs of generic gaskets for that thread size and bolt head size, and they work just as well as the Kawi OEM ones and whatever else. In fact, now that I think about it, I've never had a new oil pan gasket that didn't seal up the drain bolt that was the proper size/fit.

Any of em are probably fine, just avoid ebay junk and gaskets made of the entire wrong materials, and use a torque wrench on the bolt and you are golden.

-Mike

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,949 Posts
AFAIK the OEM gasket was 09168-14002 and it has been superseded by 09168-14004. I haven't bothered to check but seem to recall that they look slightly different. +1 on using a new gasket every time.

I have a thread here about changing to a drain plug with a protruding magnet and a Stat-O-Seal type gasket. It is reusable and only requires snugging it up after hand tightening. The only downside is that you need to use safety wire on the plug.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that your post explains what happened. The dealer that wanted to sell me the new stile gasket and the catalog that sent me the same new stile gaskets were using updated correct information. I have just re-installed the oil drain plug using one of the new gaskets and everything seems fine.

Please note that the differences between the old and new gaskets are not insignificant (refer to the attached picture, the old style gasket, in used conditions, is shown on the left side). When torquing the plug, the cylindrical section between the two rings in the new style gasket collapses completely.

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
GSX-R750
287 Posts
Yeah man I wouldn't worry about it. Back when I was a mechanic assistant too, we had drawers full of every type of gasket under the sun. Everything from plain soft washers to the crushable type you have pictured, they're all fine as long as you change it out and don't have a damaged oil pan. Some people who came in to the shop saying they had an oil leak sometimes had either stripped their oil pan bolt doing their own oil changes, used no gasket, reused one multiple times, or had a damaged mating surface the gasket is supposed to crush against on the pan.

At least on my K4, the oil drain bolt has a torque of 16.5 lb/ft. So many people go waaaay over that by hand, worried that they'll leak oil if that's not crushed down. 16.5 is only double the torque used on those tiny 8mm bolts holding engine covers on and the like. So long as you aren't over-tightening the drain bolt, and you've got any new gasket, you can't really mess things up.

-Mike

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional information, Mike. The recommended torque for my K6 oil drain plug is also 16.5 lb ft. To use the correct torque is a good point. Many years ago I overtorqued the oil drain plug of another bike and I ended up damaging the oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts