Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not gotten the recall done, on my 06 GSX-R 1000 for the front master cylinder, for you guys that have gotten it done, will it work with aftermarket brake lines? I have installed Spiegler brake lines on the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The MC was the problem in the recall not anything beyond, I run HEL lines on my 05 1000 after getting the recall completed.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
On some, but not all, models the MC recall includes replacing the #1 front brake line. This includes the K5/K6 1000 but not the K7/K8 or K9/L3. I don't know why that is because, as you see above, aftermarket lines for the original MC will work with the new. The banjo mounting point remains on the MC's underside. But the port to the reservoir is moved from the side to the top, apparently so that any gas in the MC will work its way up and out to the reservoir. That requires repositioning the reservoir and the kit includes a new reservoir bracket. The OEM bracket has been discontinued and is very hard to find nowadays.

I haven't had the recall done either and continue to fight with Suzuki over it. It's my understanding that, unless you know the dealership well enough for them to bend the recall rules, they will insist on removing your Spiegler lines so they can install the recall line. I don't know if they supply a new #2 line in such situations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On some, but not all, models the MC recall includes replacing the #1 front brake line. This includes the K5/K6 1000 but not the K7/K8 or K9/L3. I don't know why that is as aftermarket lines for the original MC will work with the new. The banjo mounting point remains on the MC's underside. But the port to the reservoir is moved from the side to the top, apparently so that any gas in the MC will work its way up and out to the reservoir. That requires repositioning the reservoir and the kit includes a new reservoir bracket. The OEM bracket has been discontinued and is very hard to find nowadays.

I haven't had the recall done either and continue to fight with Suzuki over it. It's my understanding that, unless you know the dealership well enough for them to bend the recall rules, they will insist on removing your Spiegler lines so they can install the recall line. I don't know if they supply a new #2 line in such situations.

Well that sucks, I did the brakes lines back in 2010, didn’t keep any of the stock brake lines, Suzuki keeps calling and sending flyers to get the recall done, I don’t mind, but be pist if half to remove my Spiegler brake lines.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's odd, since: although the set includes a new brakeline, the modification is only for the MC, you can't force a customer to have his parts removed to carry out a modification if those parts have nothing to do with the recall
Hell, they're gonna need to refill and bleed the system anyway, no use in doing it twice
My dealer did about 500 of these, many, including mine that had aftermarket brakelines
Not one word for the Dutch importer

If Suzuki so desperately wants their brakeline returned, have the mechanic screw on the one that came with the new MC, on the old one

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
OK you asked.

Based on the experience of jk570 and the frame recall, I'd say that Suzuki is much more reasonable/sensible in Europe.

The new brake line is part of the recall kit and thus part of the recall. In the US, the dealer is going to be expected to install the full kit, not just the portion that the customer wants.

In my case, I've replaced everything but the reservoir. Brembo RCS, new reservoir line & one clamp, modified reservoir mounting bracket, Galfer GP lines, K9 calipers, ceramic rotors, and titanium bolts. I've forgotten as it's been so long but they either want me to reinstall the OEM parts or leave my new parts on, and they will install the recall parts in their place. Then I can remove their recall parts and reinstall my aftermarket parts. It's my impression that functional used ceramic rotors sell for $5000. I don't want the dealer anywhere near them. I use a highly respected local shop to change the tires on my BSTs and, even there, I remove the front rotors before bringing them the wheels. The recall MC is not matched to the smaller pistons of the K9 calipers. So I assume that they expect me to also change back to the OEM calipers.

Manufacturers are required under US Federal law to reimburse owners who have replaced parts that are later recalled for their cost up to the cost of the recall parts; if the parts were replaced before the recall and receipts showing as much are supplied. Suzuki submitted a sample reimuursement form to the NHTSB with other MC recall related documentation to show that they were complying. I replaced the MC, lines, etc. before the recall and had the receipts. Yet they refused to reimburse me. I call that filing false and misleading statements with the regulators. Chrysler was fined $70 million for doing that. Such a fine would put Suzuki USA back into bankruptcy.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Damn, that's a bunch of BS Suzuki USA is trying to shove the customers down the throat

...maybe send Suzuki Japan a message, those Japanese are odd people and can be quirky when it comes to image being soiled
Something like: "Oi Suuz Japan, why are your guys in the US trying to steal the parts off my bike?" :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Nightbat®
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing