Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum. I recently bought from a coworkers hubs a 05 gsxr600 for $200.. killer deal right. My outlook is if I can’t get it going/started I’ll part it out.
When I talked to him, he mentioned that he stopped riding cause of the master brake recall and wife hated him riding. So it sat for 5+ yrs in the element.
At time of purchase, I only connected a battery to the bike to see if motor was locked. Motor cranked but wouldn’t start.
Since I brought it home, I cleaned fuel tank, replaced fuel pump motor, new battery. Still not starting. Even checked, while trying to start, smell the exhaust. Couldn’t detect raw fuel/vapors. Pulled injectors, attached fuel line to rail and result was 2/4 are spraying.. minimally. Not a heavy spray but almost like a mist. Pulled plugs and all 4 have spark against frame. All fuses in box are active, not blown.. I don’t kno the terminology to all the bike stuff yet but I’ll learn. Please be patient. Any suggestions?

· Registered
4 Posts
If you swap the injectors that work with ones that don't, does the problem follow the injector or the location of where they are seated. If the fault follows the injector, then looks like they are blocked and need to be properly cleaned, send them away for cleaning (cheap) or buy a good set of injectors online.

If the problem does not follow the injector and when you put a known working injector into a new position and it stops working, then its most likely a wiring issue and I would check you have injection pulses at the harness.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks Mario. I simply got some 3/8 to 1/4 reducing hose, fixed nozzle of carb cleaner to hose, unseated Injectors, left electrical connected and did a few series of starting in spraying cleaner. Checked gap on plugs and cleaned plugs. Bike fired up no problem. Now I just got to do oil change, coolant flush, and get the recalled brake master cylinder addressed.
Only thing I did notice was that when I shift gear bike will shut right off

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the bike into shop, was able to get master cylinder replaced due to manufacture recall and Suzuki $100 cc.. ??
Onto next issue. Replacing coolant and oil change. On another note, went and bought a helmet-first timer here- and the guy at cycle shop mentioned that if bike has sat for a while, to have valves looked at. What’s the pro/con of riding without having it checked.

· Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
15,015 Posts
Guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Valve lash inspection is based on mileage, not time. So how many miles?

Also, probably the factory coolant hoses. Those degrade with time, so you should consider changing them.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just did oil change. Doesn’t seem that oil is that old, unless the previous owner did oil change just before letting bike sit for few years.
Since the speedo was not working, on dash, did a lil checking and seen a speedohealer under tail seat. MPH was 0 while riding, I disconnected SH and went with factory plug.. thinking that having atleast some idea of mph is better than no mph.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
18k ish on odometer but 53k on trip A. Would trip A miles still read/tic-away with having SH wired?
After a lil cruzin, not exceeding 45 mph, we’ll what is read on dash, noticed a lil leak on forks. Sure enough it’s on my next fixin list.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
18k ish on odometer but 53k on trip A. Would trip A miles still read/tic-away with having SH wired?
After a lil cruzin, not exceeding 45 mph, we’ll what is read on dash, noticed a lil leak on forks. Sure enough it’s on my next fixin list.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Noticed fork leakage. Got bike ready to go. Just awaiting on seals and oil then off to the races. Any write ups on fork seal replacement? I prob should invest in a repair manual. Just want to know torque specs, etc.

· Registered
2005 600 gsxr
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. So I found a manual online. Able to pull forks off and start repairing the fork seal. I did notice on the fork that was leaking, a lil bit of pitting on the inner tube, exterior side. Hopefully I can smooth out the rough parts and once I have new seal on, the pitted part won’t cause any further leakage

· Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
15,015 Posts
Hit it gently with some 2000 grit. Pitting has raised edges like a crater on the moon. Those are sharp and will turn new seals to junk seals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.