Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on the hwy today and all the sudden I heard a loud knock, I pulled over and towed home, I’ve only owned the bike for a month now. It has 9700 miles on it, oil is good and spark plugs are tight ( a co-worker) said to see if a plug had backed out. Could it be the cct with that low of miles? Here’s the YouTube link, any help is greatly appreciated!!!
https://youtu.be/NlCpUr5T4aQ

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,373 Posts
Cam chain tensioners were a problem on the older bikes, not these. Sounds like it's running on three cylinders. Take the body work off and let it warm up a little. Put a little water on the four exhaust headers. One will be cooler than the rest. That's your problem cylinder. I does sound like a blown out plug, but it's hard to tell on a video. Find the bad cylinder and go from there. If the plug looks ok, do a compression test on that cylinder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update, I have a buddy bringing a compression tester over this weekend, I pulled the plugs out and they all look normal, I did pour water on the headers and all 4 are hot, I also started the bike and pulled the coil packs out individually and they are all sparking. Until the compression tester gets here I don’t think I have anything else to check. I recorded another small clip too.
https://youtu.be/QI7FljBOmgI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up getting a hold of a compression tester and cylinder 1,3 and 4 are 145-150 psi and cylinder 2 is at 95 psi. So looks like I’m going to need a new head

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,373 Posts
Ended up getting a hold of a compression tester and cylinder 1,3 and 4 are 145-150 psi and cylinder 2 is at 95 psi. So looks like I’m going to need a new head
Why do you think it's the head? Think the valves are leaking? It could be rings too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m going to get a leak down tester and try to find out more, I’ve never worked on a motorcycle engine so this is all new to me. A local motorcycle shop told me to buy this Yamaha medic RX formula and pour some down each cylinder, wait 24 hours and start it. Possibly a stuck valve since it has such low miles. What other tests can I do to narrow down this issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not sure other than what info I’m getting from other people, trying to find the best way to diagnose it before I tear into anything

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
Dude you totally have a spun bearing on the crankshaft end of one of your connecting rods. Each time you start your bike you are doing more damage, but to be honest you're probably looking at buying a used engine anyway at this point.

Let me know what your oil filter looks like. Dump the oil asap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry it took so long to update this, turns out the spring retainer broke and bent a valve, Pretty surprising to me since the bike had 9000 miles on it. Better luck next time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Danthemannw
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing