Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,751 Posts
It looks like the turn signals have been fiddled with, flush mounts in the front and I'm not sure at the rear. The original rears could be part of the fender eliminator or it could include new ones. You'll have to check how well the wiring was done as it can vary wildly. Ditto the license plate light.

D&D exhaust - is it a full exhaust, header back, or just a bolt on muffler? I see somethings that looks like either the remnants of the EXCVA or a boss for an O2 sensor but can't tell. If the EXCV system was disabled, that would normally involve altering one or more ECM connections. Here again, it can be done well or poorly.

·
10,751 Posts
Suzuki calls it the SET system for Suzuki Exhaust Tuning. But the service manual, which you need if you're going to work on the bike, refers to it as the exhaust control system (EXCS) consisting of the exhaust control valve (EXCV) and the ECM controlled exhaust control valve actuator (EXCVA). The instructions for various Yoshimura systems show how to disable it, though there are a couple other ways. I'd have to do some digging but I don't recall their instructions being as clear as they could be. Assuming that it's not in use, a significant issue is whether the parts were removed or just deactivated.

A studder sounds like something else.

The turn signals, etc. may work fine right now but the difference between hacked and quality wiring is whether they stay that way.

·
10,751 Posts
^The triangular graphic on the side is K5 like he said but everything else looks K6. White wheels look nice but you have to constantly clean them. Is that a bell hanging off the license plate? Questionable placement in the K3/K4 subforum.

·
10,751 Posts
"K5 threw n threw.."
That light blue accent is on K6's and not on K5's. You can see it on the fuel tank, side cowling, and (barely) front cowl. It's as if the under cowling is K5 and everything else is K6. Compare K5 and K6 here.

·
10,751 Posts
^You're missing the triangular graphic on the side of the undercowling about a foot back from the big "R". I find that to be the quickest way to distinguish K5 from K6. Unfortunately I've removed it from my K6 too, as well as the stripe on the underside of the seat tail cover. I can't tell from his pics but his stripe might be for a K5. A light blue accent is the giveaway but the angle's not right to be sure.

·
10,751 Posts
Your K6 pic is the same as my link above and the K5 is similar. I believe them all to be Suzuki preproduction studio pics that always have a blank white background and the wheels aligned so that the third spoke is straight up. Interestingly the K5 front brake rotors are different from K6 as is the emblem on the muffler in yours, neither of which made it to production. I think your K5 must be from an earlier session and they "fixed" the emblem by the time that they shot mine. The rotors came later.

·
10,751 Posts
The link pics came from Suzukicycle.org and was obtained by clicking on the first K5 1000 pic to get the larger version. His site isn't as easy to navigate as it once was. Many of these pics are also on bikepics.com but it's complicated by posters uploading into the wrong year and the large number of pics (about 4000 for K5 1000). You can see where someone was photoshopping different mufflers onto one of the studio pics.

·
10,751 Posts
That MIG muffler is old. As I understand it, they were the first to make muffler shells from CF. They were located in France and are long out of business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts