Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I’m new to the site, I’m potentially buying a 2003 gsxr1000 (silver model) with 5,700 miles on it. All stock except for d&d exhaust. I’m able to pick it up for $5,000 and I wanted to get some extra opinions or tips on what to look for on these.

I read that they are very reliable bikes, I owned a k5 1000 in 2011 that was kind of beat up. Non oem fairings etc...anyway I’m in the market again for one, and don’t want to pass it up. Sound like a good deal??

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Looks like I’ll be picking it up later this evening. I’m usually a Yamaha guy but when it comes to sport bikes I feel like the gsxr’s are one of the best. I love the early 2000’s models especially

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,534 Posts
It looks like the turn signals have been fiddled with, flush mounts in the front and I'm not sure at the rear. The original rears could be part of the fender eliminator or it could include new ones. You'll have to check how well the wiring was done as it can vary wildly. Ditto the license plate light.

D&D exhaust - is it a full exhaust, header back, or just a bolt on muffler? I see somethings that looks like either the remnants of the EXCVA or a boss for an O2 sensor but can't tell. If the EXCV system was disabled, that would normally involve altering one or more ECM connections. Here again, it can be done well or poorly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah looks like aftermarket signals front and back. All the lights work. It looks like a full exhaust with the blue color from header back to the slip on but im not sure if that could be stock also. I have no knowledge of that EXCVA that you mentioned. Is that kind of like the exup valve on the Yamis? It has a slight studder at low rpms but gets smooth as the rpms increase

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,891 Posts
It certainly looks clean in the pic and even if every one of those 5700 miles was spent on the track, that bike isn't even broken-in yet. If this is just a garage queen / weekend cruiser, you're all set for many years to come. It's certainly not common to see one so clean, low mile and close to stock anymore.

Congrats - very nice score.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. Glad to hear that. That’s precisely what this will be, my garage queen/weekend warrior. I tried to replicate Ferrys factory bike the best I could. I got the seat cover, missing some graphics, I have the DSP carb parts, but missing some key parts like the carbon airbox and DSP pipe. The big gun race series is close enough 💪🏼 And it is road legal currently insured/inspected 😈

Attachments

·
10,534 Posts
Suzuki calls it the SET system for Suzuki Exhaust Tuning. But the service manual, which you need if you're going to work on the bike, refers to it as the exhaust control system (EXCS) consisting of the exhaust control valve (EXCV) and the ECM controlled exhaust control valve actuator (EXCVA). The instructions for various Yoshimura systems show how to disable it, though there are a couple other ways. I'd have to do some digging but I don't recall their instructions being as clear as they could be. Assuming that it's not in use, a significant issue is whether the parts were removed or just deactivated.

A studder sounds like something else.

The turn signals, etc. may work fine right now but the difference between hacked and quality wiring is whether they stay that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. I’m new to the site, I’m potentially buying a 2003 gsxr1000 (silver model) with 5,700 miles on it. All stock except for d&d exhaust. I’m able to pick it up for $5,000 and I wanted to get some extra opinions or tips on what to look for on these.

I read that they are very reliable bikes, I owned a k5 1000 in 2011 that was kind of beat up. Non oem fairings etc...anyway I’m in the market again for one, and don’t want to pass it up. Sound like a good deal??
Clean bike...
I got 2..
K5 1000
21 1000r..
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Tire Plant Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
10,534 Posts
^The triangular graphic on the side is K5 like he said but everything else looks K6. White wheels look nice but you have to constantly clean them. Is that a bell hanging off the license plate? Questionable placement in the K3/K4 subforum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^The triangular graphic on the side is K5 like he said but everything else looks K6. White wheels look nice but you have to constantly clean them. Is that a bell hanging off the license plate? Questionable placement in the K3/K4 subforum.
K5 threw n threw..
Power commander 5..
Lite tune n dyno..
She still gets it...187 mph
Track tested...
Everyone questions the bell placement
But she hasn't thrown me in 10 yrs..
RESPECT...hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the white wheels make it look 1000x better and speaking about cleaning them there is a guy i know who has the k5 with white wheels and he said after he washes his bike and when he gets to the wheels he uses Mr.Sheen which is a polish and apparently dirt just falls off no idea if true but everytime i see his wheels they are always spotless

1 - 20 of 29 Posts