Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys/Gals,

This has been killing me for a while, the bike will always ride great for a half hour then it pops and shuts down, electronics stay on, CHECK comes on the dash, I have to let it sit for awhile then it fires back up for another half hour. I noticed the fuel pump doesn't spin up unless I let it sit then finally the CHECK goes off on its own. No codes thrown nor FI light. I replaced the following: Fuel pump and lines, Camshaft positioning sensor, spark plugs, wiring seems good, no corrosion on the ECU pins. Originally when this happened I got a C11 code so I replaced the sensor and boom code went away so did the light but the bike still does the same shit. Bike only has 5000 miles on it. I went through the fuel system and tested that. That checked out according to manual. Anyone else have this issue, its always happens at (give or take) 30 minute mark no matter the way I'm riding. Temp is varied at this point but it does it at 220, 170, 190C etc... so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I also have the kickstand sensor bypassed, I also bought a new battery and checked those connections and replaced them. Anyone ever experience this?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,278 Posts
If the cluster stays on, the ignition switch is probably OK. CHEC means that the ECM isn't sending it any data. That could be the ECM itself is shutting down or that power to it is turning off. The power is mainly by a O/W lead from the engine stop switch. Will it crank when it shuts down? The O/W also runs to the dealer mode connector. You could rig up a small 12 V LED between the O/W and the B/W at the connector and check to see if it goes out when it shuts down. Leave everything on while you check. That means placing the LED somewhere that you can see it without turning the ignition off and raising the seat. Perhaps locating it in the rear compartment and carrying a spare key.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can Bypass the kick stand sensor for now - temporarily.

For me it was the kickstand sensor, but while doing research, I came across about half a dozen others, where the problem was the ECU shutting off when hot. Mostly 03/04 GSXR 1000's and 04/05 600-750's. These came out with the 32 bit ECU's. Perhaps, they share a common component inside the ecu that can go bad? I'm not sure.
I have not read of any 05 or newer bikes with this problem.

Like BillV mentioned, Does the starter motor crank when the bike has stalled with "CHEC" on the dash?
Ordinarily the starter will not crank with CHEC on the dash, but when the bike stalls due to ecu failure, then it will.

So, it's quite possible that it's your ecu. But ECU's are not cheap, so further testing needs to be done. Rigging up a 12V LED or 12V LED Gauge is a good idea, to monitor power to ecu. You can get them for a couple of dollars off ebay. Connect it between the O/W(or is it O/G) and the B/W at the dealer mode connector. Next time the bike randomly stalls, check the gauge. If there is still power to the ecu, but "CHEC" is ON, then highly likely you have an internal ecu problem.

Also, near the ecu there is a terminal block with a black cap, with five B/W wires going into it. I believe this is where the ecu gets it's ground. You can remove the black cap and also the metallic bridge inside and clean it of any corrosion. (It's a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing anything electrical near the ECU.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike will crank over no problem when it dies, everything stays lit up. Ya I did the voltage test on the Red and Black wires leading off the battery, I tapped the gauge to my dash and rode, it was constantly getting power out of there and producing good voltage, I think low was like 13volts and high was like 14.Xvolts. I'll clean that bridge and setup a LED Gauge. I moved to Mexico and let me tell you it takes months to get parts for this thing. But I think a Gauge is something I can find here, I'll for sure try that. Ya I hope its not the ECU, by the time I'm done everything will be new on this bike and I could of just bought a newer one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts