Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, little back story I bought a blown up 1000 a couple years ago did my homework and recently rebuilt the entire motor all new everything including the listed problem......the clutch.....bike is running and does so great BUT my issue is after making sure everything else was in tune I didn’t really check over the clutch I put it together according to the rebuild manual and that was about it. Bike starts up and does so with easy but when trying to shift into first it kills the bike and grinds gears. Before you ask I have adjust all three points available and done so all the way in along with all the way out. Still I have had no luck getting the bike to engage the clutch to the point of being able to get into a gear. Short of removing the cover and trying to figure out the issue I am coming here to try to hear your feedback!
Thank you guys and gals.

·
Registered
2002 GSX-R750
15 Posts
with motor off try push the bike while its in first gear and you have the clutch pulled , did it drag the back wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes with motor off and in first gear it drags back wheel with clutch lever pulled in and out.

·
Registered
2002 GSX-R750
15 Posts
Clutch not working at all then , it could be a simple fix. Someone else might chime in to offer troubleshooting .

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I would take it apart again and check you got all plates right and springs torqued, insure nothing is sticky like the rods, steels and fibers are good and all there right? no bearings in backwards.. check it all has to be something, if you have play in the lever and springs are tight it should grab..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: So I took apart the clutch this morning. All plates and washers accounted for everything is torqued to spec yet I’m still having the same issue before putting the cover on I made sure it was working properly but it is not. With the lever pulled in and in first gear it still acts as if it has no neutral with the lever pulled in. I called a local shop for some insight but am waiting for a call.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,070 Posts
First, with respect to your original post, the clutch is engaged and won't disengage.

I was wondering if you might have an extra wave washer or its seat in there. See items 11 & 12 here. Another issue is the bolts and washers for the clutch springs. K5/K6 used a bolt with captive washer and they can't be used here.

I don't have the service manual in front of me but seem to recall that the outermost drive plate gets installed in different slots than the others. However I also seem to recall that Brock Davidson has discussed that and couldn't find a difference if they were all installed the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou for the response BillV, I watched a number of his videos and spoke with a couple of local shops. According to the manual and local shops the clutch is put together exactly how its supposed to be. A thought that I had but havent had a chance to look at yet is, could it possibly be something within the transmission like the gear selector like the main bolt holding that together being loose or to tight? could it be something within the chain being too tight and not allowing the bike enough slack to shift into the selected gear. What are the issues that come from the main adjustment screw that pushes the push rod when the clutch lever is pulled and could that honestly be the issue.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,070 Posts
You can check out chain and transmission theories with the engine off and pushing it or spinning the rear wheel while on a stand. It sounds like it ought to roll when in neutral and lock up when in gear. If so, that's the clutch. You ought to be able to start it while in gear. Because of the extra drag, you should warm it up in neutral for a minute or so before trying to start in gear.

Note that with all the clutch adjustments backed out, there won't be any way to push on the pressure plate to get the clutch to disengage. So the clutch will remain engaged. Might it be as simple a matter as you've adjusted things so that the clutch won't disengage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can someone verify the issue when installing the clutch how many fibers are actually supposed to be there. the book calls for ten fibers and nine steels. I have spoke to a number of shops and a couple of them told me to run nine fibers and nine steels. Is the first plate to go in a fiber or a steel plate. I ordered a new clutch cable bc mine is stretched which i believe may be the issue overall.

·
Registered
2002 GSX-R750
15 Posts
Just noting, normally you have the inner and outer basket which is metal , then the fibre needs to go in between the metal rings , theres always one less metal plate in-between the fibre plates ....

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
With adjusters all screwed out, tight. What does it feel like when you pull the clutch in ? Pulling against the springs (springy) or stretching the cable ( pulling against a solid, not spring back) ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a stretched clutch cable, along with that i found that the oil i used was not correct i switch to royal purple 10-40 and it cleared the issue up immediately. I soaked the plates overnight and when i installed the clutch pack everything acted as it should so problem fixed.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Good to see you going again.
So could the problem have been clutch plates stuck together, and not separating / engaging ?
Hard to picture oil choice being your original problem. But, live and learn. (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts