Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, looking to swap out my cams for my drag bike. I see that if you put another intake cam on the exhaust side it will make a little more power. What year cams should I put on to get the most, I saw some where that they left the 02 intake cam in place and swapped out the exhaust for a 05-06 intake. Not sure what would be the best. Thanks

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If its an 02 1000: use a 05 1000 intake cam for the intake, use a 01-03 750 intake cam for the exhaust if running on motor, use a 01-04 1000 intake cam for the exhaust if spraying. Get the head milled .010" while your at it. Use 01-03 750 valve springs if running motor. Get good valve springs if spraying it. If milled .010" set the cams at 106/108. If not milled set the cams 105/107. Check piston to valve clearance!!!!! Also port match the rubber intake boots to the intake tracts on the head.You could port the head as well as the 01-04 runners in the head are smaller than the 05-08's. There a lot of powere to be made in bowl blending on these 1000 heads. Don't do any polishing in the combustion area of the head as you will be just reducing combustion. You could also look at running a .018" head gasket if running on motor only and you can measure your piston to head clearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In a couple weeks I will be done racing and will do the cam swap....I will be running all motor with maybe a small shot to make up for a bad light or launch if needed. I am going to swap out the stock pistons and get some head work done. So, I should swap my intake cam to the exhaust side and pick up a 05 1000 intake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its an 02 1000: use a 05 1000 intake cam for the intake, use a 01-03 750 intake cam for the exhaust if running on motor, use a 01-04 1000 intake cam for the exhaust if spraying. Get the head milled .010" while your at it. Use 01-03 750 valve springs if running motor. Get good valve springs if spraying it. If milled .010" set the cams at 106/108. If not milled set the cams 105/107. Check piston to valve clearance!!!!! Also port match the rubber intake boots to the intake tracts on the head.You could port the head as well as the 01-04 runners in the head are smaller than the 05-08's. There a lot of powere to be made in bowl blending on these 1000 heads. Don't do any polishing in the combustion area of the head as you will be just reducing combustion. You could also look at running a .018" head gasket if running on motor only and you can measure your piston to head clearance.
Thank you for the good advice!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump this up again but will a cam swap result in the bike jurking below 3000rpm with almost no power? I just bought a k2 1000. Previous owner dont have a clue wats done. I get 299km/h in 5th and running smooth with lots of power but struggle to pull away with the jerkin below 3000rpm.

What n nice forum, I am from South Africa.

Hope Trump can make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
EkkeHannes
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing