Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I’m thinking about purchasing a 2002 gsxr 600 with 42000 kms on it. The current ownersays the bike is mint with no issues accept that the oil leaks from the drain bolt because it needs a new washer? Just wondering what sort of things I should look for when checking out the motorcycle. Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,284 Posts
18 y/o bike. You should go over everything you can especially brake pads, brake hoses and fluid. Find out when they were last changed.

Look inside the gas tank for rust.

Make sure the leak is actually from the drain bolt. If it was so simple, why didn't he fix it?

Orginal plastics? If not, likely crashed. I walk away at that point.

Make sure VIN on title matches the bike. Also make sure it's not a salvage title.

Take plastics off and have a look at everything.

Make sure tires are good.

I don't like the sound of that leak, be 100% of the source.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, just go over as much as you can carefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18 y/o bike. You should go over everything you can especially brake pads, brake hoses and fluid. Find out when they were last changed.

Look inside the gas tank for rust.

Make sure the leak is actually from the drain bolt. If it was so simple, why didn't he fix it?

Orginal plastics? If not, likely crashed. I walk away at that point.

Make sure VIN on title matches the bike. Also make sure it's not a salvage title.

Take plastics off and have a look at everything.

Make sure tires are good.

I don't like the sound of that leak, be 100% of the source.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, just go over as much as you can carefully.
thank you! I was thinking maybe I’ll take my mechanic who works on my bikes with me aswell! Do you think the motor would be starting to get tired after that many kms. Lack of power or anything like that?

·
Administrator
15,284 Posts
thank you! I was thinking maybe I’ll take my mechanic who works on my bikes with me aswell! Do you think the motor would be starting to get tired after that many kms. Lack of power or anything like that?
Definitely take a mechanic.

If properly maintained, these motors can go over 100k+ miles. Maintenance is key.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey guys and gals. I’m thinking about purchasing a 2002 gsxr 600 with 42000 kms on it. The current ownersays the bike is mint with no issues accept that the oil leaks from the drain bolt because it needs a new washer? Just wondering what sort of things I should look for when checking out the motorcycle. Thanks.
Make sure when you test ride it it goes through all the gears as 2nd gear is a common issue mine went after only 16000 miles on that model

1 - 7 of 7 Posts