Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I picked up this GSXR and I'm planning on turning it into a dedicated track bike over the winter and I wanted to pick the hive mind for any useful information or tips. I've been running my SV650, but after I had a little off at Putnam Park (just bent bars and broken radiator) I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a track bike now that I just got the bump to intermediate class at my last day at the track.

The bike's front brakes felt like crap when I got it, but after bleeding them with fresh fluid, lubing the lever pivot, deglazing the rotors, and cleaning the calipers it feels worlds better, but it's still got a warped rotor that needs replacing. It's a track bike so I'm not afraid to spend some money on important things like brakes, but I'm still operating on a budget here so do yall have any recommendations on brands or models of rotors?

Also, the tires on it now are for some reason a 120/65 and a 190/50 so I'm planning picking up a set of Q3's in the stock sizes. I don't plan on running tire warmers yet so I think Q3's or Supercorsa's should serve me well.

Also on the christmas list:
-Brake pads
-stainless brake lines
-rearsets (Vortex or Woodcraft?)
-Engine case covers (left side already has a good scrape)

Besides that I just plan on safety wiring it up and riding the crap out of it for now. Track fairings and suspension upgrades will probably come eventually. Do people stick with the conventional forks on these? or do they just swap to an USD fork?

Did I miss anything? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
Modify the stock seat or buy at least race tail fairing with hard seat. That stock 'sofa' is just too soft and seat height quite low for track riding.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Howdy and welcome - nice bike :cheers

Just curious: Why safety wiring? Is that required for just riding track days in Indiana? Up here, that's only if you want to race.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy and welcome - nice bike :cheers

Just curious: Why safety wiring? Is that required for just riding track days in Indiana? Up here, that's only if you want to race.
It's not required for the Novice class, but at least for the organizations and tracks (Mid-Ohio, Putnam, National Corvette Museum) that I've ridden Intermediate and advanced class require at least some minimal safety wiring (oil plug, fill, filter, rad cap, etc.).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modify the stock seat or buy at least race tail fairing with hard seat. That stock 'sofa' is just too soft and seat height quite low for track riding.
I've wondered about that. I imagine a harder seat makes it easier to feel what the rear tire is doing, but how does a taller seat height help?

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
You'll get a better riding position. I had K1 750 before and stock seat height is really low compared to other bikes.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
Also, the tires on it now are for some reason a 120/65 and a 190/50 so I'm planning picking up a set of Q3's in the stock sizes. I don't plan on running tire warmers yet so I think Q3's or Supercorsa's should serve me well.

Also on the christmas list:
-Brake pads
-stainless brake lines
-rearsets (Vortex or Woodcraft?)
-Engine case covers (left side already has a good scrape)

Besides that I just plan on safety wiring it up and riding the crap out of it for now.
For simple track days I'd say you've got the right plans in place already. I didn't do much more than you did to my 01 600 racebike years ago and I still managed to bring home several of the fast guy trophies. They were pretty capable platforms (for the time) and are still plenty quick to this day in the right hands. :thumbup

P.S. You may consider going to a more race only tire with tire warmers once your lap times start dropping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For simple track days I'd say you've got the right plans in place already. I didn't do much more than you did to my 01 600 racebike years ago and I still managed to bring home several of the fast guy trophies. They were pretty capable platforms (for the time) and are still plenty quick to this day in the right hands. :thumbup

P.S. You may consider going to a more race only tire with tire warmers once your lap times start dropping.
any recommendations for sprocket tooth counts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
-1/+2 on the sprockets, still gives you a genuine +220kph while not too agressive.

I would advise the R6 throttle mod too, at €28 the cheapest way to a one-grip wot.
(In my case I had to remove one of the locknuts on the throttle cables at the engine side to make it fit)

·
Im not missing Happy Pony
258 Posts
Good bike i've also had my time racing an 01 and just picked up another 02 gixxer 750 for next years classes.

Change the master cylinder and brake lines. Nothing to do with the calipers and just tune the forks.

Get some clip-ons, rearsets, and engine covers
Seat is mostly rider preference so its not mandatory for you to put a SBK tail on it.
I run both tails depending on track . One puts me on top for quicker flicks, while the stock seat puts me more into the bikes for big lazy tracks.

Gearing depends on what you like and what track your at.

If you want to get a taste of safety wiring , safety wire your drain plug, coolant drain bolt and your oil filter.

Tires i use the S21 Bridgestones and i'm able to ride in all groups at whatever pace with no slipping. Q3's i find are great in the begining and fad quick, once again thats rider preference and style.

·
Im not missing Happy Pony
258 Posts
R6 or 1 would be good the GSXR'S have suffered in recent years, sad to say. If you can shell out a couple Hundred there's the Accossatos and for a little more brembo 19x18 or the RCS. just depends on your budget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts