Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 600 with a rashed tail and I've seen a few guys out there changing out the tail for newer gixxers and other bikes. Does anyone know if there are any subframes from newer bikes (any make) that will bolt right on or bolt on a few modifications? Don't really know where I can get anyone to weld up a modified subframe. Ive seen a few pics of newer r6 tails on older gixxers and I like the look. If anyone has any pics I'd love to see them. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
im curious too. i heard its definitely possible. i have a 03 gsxr750 and i really dont like the fat wide tail even with the undertail i still dont like it. woud be cool to have a 06+ gixxer tail on it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 06-07 R6 one piece race tail that I am planning on putting on instead of the stocker but I was trying to avoid making a new subframe or hacking up the stock one. Looks like that might be the only option though...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Doesn't the subframe bolt on an 01? If so I would find the tail you want and just get the subframe that matches the new tail and adapt it to work with your frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the subframe bolts on but haven't found any that have the same mounting points. They leave the subframe at weird angles or not fit at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im curious too. i heard its definitely possible. i have a 03 gsxr750 and i really dont like the fat wide tail even with the undertail i still dont like it. woud be cool to have a 06+ gixxer tail on it
I think someone has a pretty in depth writeup about making that conversion. It takes a lot of welding but looks really good when its done.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I disagree. I saw someone with a 2001-2003 bike put full 06+ fairings etc on the bike, but the tank was stock, so it was extremely big.

He did alot of work and loved his result but I think it just looked awkward.

The 04/05 tail on the 01-03 bikes looks alot better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't referring to all of the plastics, just the tail.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226781&highlight=04+tail+swap

it seems like a lot of work to make your bike look newer but to each is own. I was only referring to the tail swap. The post above isn't the one I was talking about earlier. I know the post you are talking about and from what I remember he didnt make all the subframe mods that this guy did. The post above's tail sway is really well done and looks good.

I disagree. I saw someone with a 2001-2003 bike put full 06+ fairings etc on the bike, but the tank was stock, so it was extremely big.

He did alot of work and loved his result but I think it just looked awkward.

The 04/05 tail on the 01-03 bikes looks alot better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Oh I just read the 06+ tail and assumed you wanted that, my bad :thumbup
I like the 04/05 tail from that link, it looks better imo

·
Registered
430 Posts
One easy mod is to cut the stock sub frame by about 15 or so inches leaving the transverse support intact between the two lateral sub frame pieces so you still have one piece. I used an 05-06 race tail that allows the stock seat to be used and trimmed it up in various places to make it work. I also used fiber glass epoxy in certain areas. It took about a day to find correct fitment and a day to mock it up. But I didnt' need expensive tools; what I did use is a spare subframe and some time.

I think the 04/05 600/750 tail will fit with less effort though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
One easy mod is to cut the stock sub frame by about 15 or so inches leaving the transverse support intact between the two lateral sub frame pieces so you still have one piece. I used an 05-06 race tail that allows the stock seat to be used and trimmed it up in various places to make it work. I also used fiber glass epoxy in certain areas. It took about a day to find correct fitment and a day to mock it up. But I didnt' need expensive tools; what I did use is a spare subframe and some time.

I think the 04/05 600/750 tail will fit with less effort though.
how i wish you recorded the whole process that would be a great help :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts