Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I've had my 2001 GSXR 600 for over a year now. It has had a ton of problems, but I have been able to fix all but one. Since I got the bike there was this problem with the charging system. Every time you would ride for maybe a half hour or so the bike would die because the battery would run out of juice. So at first, I checked my rectifier and it was bad (at the time) so I replaced it. Once I had it replaced, not only did that rectifier go bad but my stator went bad too. I didn't know that the stator was bad so I only replaced the rectifier. This caused my battery too (what I'm assuming, not too sure) start overcharging and blow up. I had two batteries do this to me. (So I know it wasn't a bad battery or something) Once this started to happen I replaced the stator, rectifier, and battery and it seemed like my problems were solved. The bike was charging at 14V while at 4K RPM. (Not 100% sure kinda off the top of my head) Recently I went to go start my bike and to my surprise, the battery was drained after a long ride I had taken the previous day. So I started the bike to check and see if it was charging at all. It was slightly charging but not as much as it should have. (It was able to maintain voltage at idle but while revving voltage dropped) So I checked the stator with a multimeter and it was reading something close to 3-4 AC V at idol which I know is way to low. But this stator is fairly new so I couldn't have gone bad but that's a possibility...

But, to wrap things up could it be a problem with what I'm mounting my stator to, etc.
Honestly, I'm at a loss and I don't want to keep buying stators and rectifiers.
Thanks for reading and for any help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Devil is right also, make sure to check your plastic connectors (plugins) they are notorious for melting... Many times it is best to cut these out at the rectifier and just hardwire... Another thing to check is the wires in between these connectors, the wires used should have been a thicker gauge due to tge heat that they endure... 1 more thing is you "should" replace stator and rectifier at the same time... After my experiences I would never just assume 1 is good and the other bad... I will forever change out both at the same time just to be sure and have peace of mind... Some may disagree, this is only my opinion and way of making this repair... I changed out a stator and a few days later was having all kinds of problems only to come to the realization the rectifier had burned out... There is a shop in my area that offers both at a fairly inexpensive package deal... You might want to look into that... I did do some looking on EBay and found the same kind of deal, I have even had luck with an EBay deal but you can definitely tell the difference between real qaulity parts... Hope you have some luck and this helps.... Happy New Year and be safe out there!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did do some looking on EBay and found the same kind of deal, I have even had luck with an EBay deal but you can definitely tell the difference between real quality parts... Hope you have some luck and this helps.... Happy New Year and be safe out there!!!
I did not replace it with an OEM stator and rectifier. I had bought a combo for both off eBay for $100 or something. I knew the parts weren't going to be the best of quality, but I was hoping they were at least going to work. So should I just suck it up and but an OEM stator and rectifier and that will solve my issues?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did not replace it with an OEM stator and rectifier. I had bought a combo for both off eBay for $100 or something. I knew the parts weren't going to be the best of quality, but I was hoping they were at least going to work. So should I just suck it up and but an OEM stator and rectifier and that will solve my issues?
Hey man, I bought a combo deal from EBay for fucking 33 bucks bro!!! They fucking ripped you!!!! If ypu paid a 100.. If ypu did, I would contact them, when did you make the purchase??? Like I said I got that combo deal from EBay and the parts worked for several years... The wire gauge was weak but it did hang in there for several years... I was looking just now and they still have that deal... A new stator and rectifier will definitely fix you up!!! Also, like I said, check that plugin to the rectifier.... It may be making connections inside you can't see just from looking at it with it plugged in... Unplug it and have a look.... I myself would just go ahead and cut that trash out and hardwire it, it will eventually melt and fry on you.... To answer you though, a new rectifier and stator will take care of the problem and always, ALWAYS do both at the same time!!! Let me know how it goes... I'm here to help if you need anything!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey man, I bought a combo deal from EBay for fucking 33 bucks bro!!! They fucking ripped you!!!! If you paid a 100.. If you did, I would contact them, when did you make the purchase??? Like I said I got that combo deal from EBay and the parts worked for several years... The wire gauge was weak but it did hang in there for several years... I was looking just now and they still have that deal... A new stator and rectifier will definitely fix you up!!! Also, like I said, check that plugin to the rectifier.... It may be making connections inside you can't see just from looking at it with it plugged in... Unplug it and have a look.... I myself would just go ahead and cut that trash out and hardwire it, it will eventually melt and fry on you.... To answer you though, a new rectifier and stator will take care of the problem and always, ALWAYS do both at the same time!!! Let me know how it goes... I'm here to help if you need anything!
Damn, welp I double-checked my order history and I got the combo for $55, Honestly, I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to get my money back so I went on eBay and bought a $30 rectifier stator combo and it's on its way here. Also today I took apart my stator casing. To look at my stator, and I didn't see and burning or scoring on the Stator but it's just not producing voltage so I'm just gonna replace it and the rectifier and see where that takes me...so ill keep ya posted if shit hits the fan!
Again much thanks for the help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Damn, welp I double-checked my order history and I got the combo for $55, Honestly, I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to get my money back so I went on eBay and bought a $30 rectifier stator combo and it's on its way here. Also today I took apart my stator casing. To look at my stator, and I didn't see and burning or scoring on the Stator but it's just not producing voltage so I'm just gonna replace it and the rectifier and see where that takes me...so ill keep ya posted if shit hits the fan!
Again much thanks for the help!
Cool cool... Man, I hope things work out for you and you get back on track... I'm sure that will do the trick and sounds like you have it under control! I hear you on the ordeal with EBay hahaaa... Definitely keep us posted man!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had some success with ElectroSport regulator that I've got now on my bike. I now check battery voltage regularly and will buy a volt gauge I can mount on the dash to monitor (Koso sells one). The charging system seems to be the weak link on all motorcycles when compared to automotive systems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Only with cheap shit... Just saying... If you spend money for a great battery, stator, regulato/rectifier there is no needto constantly check the output... That would be overly paranoid... Glad your up and running! Be safe out there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts