Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this bike has been in a garage semi- climate controlled you know but dry and not freezing and not overly hot. It only has a couple superficial dents in the frame but some filler and powder coat later will cover all that. I have no idea if fuel stabilizer was added before it was stored. I plan to go with more of a cafe racer tail without front fairings and only s small fly screen. I initially drained the oil and filter change. Dreined the fuel and removed the fuel pump to clean it. I checked all the wiring snd also replaced the coolant after a flush. So far all the lighting connections carry power and work along with the respective switches signals and brake. I removed the front brakes to clean all the parts and flush the hoses out and while I did I installed a battery and fresh gas. Oh I also took a look. At the injectors and valve tops by looking through the throttle Body’s Or whatever. They were surprisingly clean. Bike has 15000 miles. So I swithced the key, heard the fuel pump prime the starter relay click the tip sensor clicked and the tach on the dash cycled itself neutral light engaged and it turned right over and on the third try with s shot of spray it fired right up. And idled itself with no help or sputters for one minute. Shut it off and it started right up again . How cool. So I’m hoping I get the brakes all primed and bled properly get a rear caliper and line. We front tire healight and a some other Stuff. I’ll post photos. But yea hadn’t been started for at least
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Table Wood Gas Machine Soil

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
So this bike has been in a garage semi- climate controlled you know but dry and not freezing and not overly hot. It only has a couple superficial dents in the frame but some filler and powder coat later will cover all that. I have no idea if fuel stabilizer was added before it was stored. I plan to go with more of a cafe racer tail without front fairings and only s small fly screen. I initially drained the oil and filter change. Dreined the fuel and removed the fuel pump to clean it. I checked all the wiring snd also replaced the coolant after a flush. So far all the lighting connections carry power and work along with the respective switches signals and brake. I removed the front brakes to clean all the parts and flush the hoses out and while I did I installed a battery and fresh gas. Oh I also took a look. At the injectors and valve tops by looking through the throttle Body’s Or whatever. They were surprisingly clean. Bike has 15000 miles. So I swithced the key, heard the fuel pump prime the starter relay click the tip sensor clicked and the tach on the dash cycled itself neutral light engaged and it turned right over and on the third try with s shot of spray it fired right up. And idled itself with no help or sputters for one minute. Shut it off and it started right up again . How cool. So I’m hoping I get the brakes all primed and bled properly get a rear caliper and line. We front tire healight and a some other Stuff. I’ll post photos. But yea hadn’t been started for at least View attachment 578600 View attachment 578601
Gotta love when things work out like this…congrats man that is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they stay that way with it. I know there’s a lot of smaller things that need changing or upkeep. But nothing major. But yea man was really relieved that things have gone so uneventful. Sounded good too, when it fired up. I couldn’t believe it at all. Was like it had been ridden the day before. Goose the throttle and it responds no bogging down at all and only a shot of smoke. As it fired up, then none. I can’t explain it, also the tank had no rust in it. We live on the coast but the bike always inside, might as well say climate controlled. You could live in that garage year round if you had to and not. Need snything but either shorts and a fan or a space heater and a blanket you know what i mean. I guess that’s what preserved it so well for 6 years

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I hope they stay that way with it. I know there’s a lot of smaller things that need changing or upkeep. But nothing major. But yea man was really relieved that things have gone so uneventful. Sounded good too, when it fired up. I couldn’t believe it at all. Was like it had been ridden the day before. Goose the throttle and it responds no bogging down at all and only a shot of smoke. As it fired up, then none. I can’t explain it, also the tank had no rust in it. We live on the coast but the bike always inside, might as well say climate controlled. You could live in that garage year round if you had to and not. Need snything but either shorts and a fan or a space heater and a blanket you know what i mean. I guess that’s what preserved it so well for 6 years
Good to know for sure. I never realized you could let something sit for that long and luck out like that.

My poor bikes go through weather extremes throughout the year here in NY. The detached garage has only electric nothing else so it gets blazing hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter….

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I’ve since gotten the bike sorted even further. Changed plugs and ran a bottle of gas tretemet through. Abiut the swap the coolant again tomorrow. got fairings back in best I could to see what’s missing. need a few led bulbs replacements for the. Brake light. however all turning lights work front and back. mirror signals work too. low and high beam headlight work. horn works. bikes running great so far I’ve put 15 miles on it just so rind the neighborhood getting up to 35 avg. and up to 60 few times. still need a front tire. . bare minimum need a tire and brake line. And it’s legal. Has all lights and brakes and horn. once I’ve done some paint and thise few items I’ll report back on this bike brought out a garage from 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christmas coming up so I decided to sand my old fairings and apply some blue metallic for the time being I ran out for the tank. Pretty good for only having invested say 100$ in the entire bike. Bike was basicslly free. SMH. Can’t believe this things sat for so long an d no one gave it a go.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question? So ive gotten an airbox, good deal 30 bux looks really clean and all the screws and all plus it still had a k and n filter in it. Anyway got that plugged up and it eliminated the only code i pulled which was the disconnected air sensor I’m currently reading -C00 dash is in the upper position. Tried to adjust the tps to no avail getting it centered . But my question is this. The FI shows and the red light comes on after a few seconds but no oil symbol in the lcd screen. When the bike is level oil is at full line, I put almost 3 qts or the 2.6 it calls for I think its 2.6maybe 2.8 but I put the proper amount and checked to get it right. The oil circulates when it’s running the window is empty while running. The bike runs fine so far needs some running on the road to properly put it through some paces. Any idea why that light is on. I haven’t gotten the injectors cleaned yet. I’m on a budget. But excited I’ve come this far for my first time on a bike like this. Anyone have a clue on this light .

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So another minor update although no one cares lol. I’ve gotten the bike running very very very good right now. I switched to a hitter plug the 8s instead of 9. and although my secondary throttle actuator maybe my problem because I, getting c28 and sometimes the red warning light doesnot come on until after the bike is running. sometimes it’s off sometimes it’s right from crank. anyway. I have them fixed open for now and coupled with the new plugs a tank of gas goes the brakes again and as i said before I now have an airbox on the bike. idles right at 1300 first crank sometimes 2 cranks. But after it’s warm it’s first time everytime. i look at some of yiur guys post count and it’s in the thousnad from back in 2013 or something and I got like 8. lol. Anyway I just took the bike out and its running right. like I definitely need some new handgrips running right. got a few very small mechanical things and then it’s just dress up and paint oh and I’m gonna carbon fiber wrap my frame with vinyl looks nice when done right snd I’m pretty good at that type stuff using Heat and all to laminate something. Saw some stuff I’m her one guy has his whole tank done tail section too. i have to say this site has been invaluable to me and I he knew piece of advice that solved so many of my problems and at the same time led to further unexpected Insoght was “ download a owner manual“. Most people think of s csr Mamail when in fact they are nowhere close. You can disassemble and entire bike down to the nut and bolt very wire trace voltage all of it with your bike owner manual so new a like me get the manual and just read it the thing has the possibility to make I a mechanic of you love your bike and want it to work for you.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bam another turn of good luck. ive needed a 36 mm or 1 7/16 wrench to loosen the rear wheel snd mount the rear brake properly someone had the brake mount bracken positionedmon the upper part of the brake rotor not on the lower part so the linkage back to the frame proper can be attached. Asked my neighbor who just came in on his Harley he has been on me for weeks to finish my bike so we can ride keeps telling me it’s good enough let’s. Let’s go meanwhile his bike is chromed out fresh paint snd and stickers ultra glide with bags on the back and sissy bar and all that nice riding bike you know. Me my plastics aren’t even painted fully yet primer gas tank rims need attention I’d be fast but not the prettiest. He says. Anyway I never catch him and when I do I forget about asking him. so rear brake line on and that’s another mechanical issue solved. now I need to rig some ratchet straps to my ceiling joist to hoist the bike slightly snd release some weight.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I would definitely change those tires before I ride that bike again. Old tires are NOT to be trusted….6 years is a long time.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am there coming next. I never ride it far when i am working on it and need to test drive it. Never got it above 60 really until today or out the neighborhood. Hey where can I buy a Speedo glass replacment. I’ve searched amazon with every combination of sea words and can’t find just a plexiglass replacmen. I suppose I could buy a piece and. cut it myself idk. Anyone know. a link to one .

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I am there coming next. I never ride it far when i am working on it and need to test drive it. Never got it above 60 really until today or out the neighborhood. Hey where can I buy a Speedo glass replacment. I’ve searched amazon with every combination of sea words and can’t find just a plexiglass replacmen. I suppose I could buy a piece and. cut it myself idk. Anyone know. a link to one .
Just Be careful man. I would venture to say that replacing the only glass on a Tachometer isn’t something that normally happens. Your best bet is to buy a used oem one on eBay. It will be a lot easier too…Getting a make shift replacement to be water/air tight after would be a challenge I’m sure.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is the rear I know the front is very bad but the rear shows no sign of drying out anywhere and there full of tread they have lost no air at all and I may be off on that time it may be more like r and some change just seemed like six. lol why what is with old. Tires what happens do they take a shit on the highway and use me to wipe ?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
This is the rear I know the front is very bad but the rear shows no sign of drying out anywhere and there full of tread they have lost no air at all and I may be off on that time it may be more like r and some change just seemed like six. lol why what is with old. Tires what happens do they take a shit on the highway and use me to wipe ?
They degraded over time, so it’s just not a risk most are willing to take. Here’s a read about it if you’re interested.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do not take this wrong but just because this is my first bike and first time working on a street bike. I’ve had dirt bikes before and now and I’m 40 years old I’ve been working with my hands and tools since I’m 10 and wanted to copy my dad and uncles and grandpa. I can usually see something done and replicate it very well the first attempt . I’ve been driving a car since I’m 13. changed tires many times , my lint here being thst over that time I’ve acquired the experience to look at something and diagnose it pretty accurately not only on sight either. I think I can feel and even smell, hear thst tire is fine. hell it was on carpet I. The garage and the tire still smelled like rubber when I first saw the bike a while back thr was no dirt or sand on the tire it wasn’t faded at all on th side wall it was as if it had just been cleaned. Gently picking at the rubber with my finger nail I can’t gouge or cut the rubber in any way. Its no showing any signs of wear at all I understand somethings can be unseen but this leads me to be,eleventh that the condition without reflects the conditions within. Howeve I’m not saying you’re wrong and that surely in some cases some asshole out there like me has looked at a tire no thought thst too, whether or not my tire and theres are conditionally the same or not who knows but I’m not saying it’s impossible.just that I’m petty confident in the tire based on 40 years of gauging tires the same way I’m gauging this one.

·
Registered
2001 gsxr750
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just Be careful man. I would venture to say that replacing the only glass on a Tachometer isn’t something that normally happens. Your best bet is to buy a used oem one on eBay. It will be a lot easier too…Getting a make shift replacement to be water/air tight after would be a challenge I’m sure.

it comes apart easily and the plexiglass just rests freely in there comes right out. I know how to cut plexi trust me it isn’t gonna be some rigged up shit. It would look factory if I did it I don’t like rigged shit unless it’s unavoidabl.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts