Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought my bike around 4 months, and everything ran great. and the other day the bike wont start. it wont even turn over anymore, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check first?

·
Registered
661 Posts
1. Battery terminals (check for good connection)
2. Fuses

If you want more help than that, you're gonna have to give us somemore information. Like do the headlights come on? Does it make any noise at all when you hit the starter button? Any lights or diagnosis messages on the instruments?

BTW, welcome to GdC. :cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i bought a new battery, checked my fuses, and everything is good. when i turn it on the lights come on, its just that when i hit the starter button, it makes no noise what so ever. since i am pretty new to this whole bike thing, i dont know what to do next.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
^I think he's talking about the fuel pump, if so yeah is there a noise coming from tje tank when you turn the bike on. have you checked you're relays? I believe there is a starter relay but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, like i said before the battery is fine, the fuses are good, when the bike is in the "on" position, the lights come on and everything, it just doesnt turn over (makes no whirling noise what so ever). and the bike does have a starter relay, could it be that, or what else should i check?

·
Registered
230 Posts
that would be my guess also. check to see if its disconnected at the switch. happened to my friends sv650. they spent 4 hours checking the bike and it took me 8 seconds to tell them the switch was unplugged.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kennedy said:
Try putting up the kick stand and putting the bike into neutral.
:wacko hahaha I've driven off with the kick stand down a few times now since I cut that damn switch off. It only really seems to happen in the wee early morning though.:scratch

·
Registered
452 Posts
All of the aforementioned, plus...
Before you pull the Brain;
You need to get at the starter leads and apply 12/14 volts.
If it spins you might have a bad ignition switch.
I might be talking out my ass here but I don't believe the CDI, Brain /what-have-you has anything to do with exciting the starter, nor fuel pump so it's either the Ignition switch, a relay (we don't have that many), or one of our many cut-out switches. Clutch, neutral, kickstand -some of the old Kawa tourers had a seat switch -pressure- like a big lawn tractor.
If you don't have a shop manual, order one.
The first repair you make pays the $70.00 - $100.00 you might pay for the manual...just buy it! You won't regret it.
There will be schematics in it as well as flicks with arrows identifying all the important stuff.
Even if you are totally lame when it comes to mechanicals/electricals you can stumble thru this . We aren't doing an engine teardown in a parking lot after dark.
Not capping on you and if someone gives you the answer that's great but sooner or later you need to get a litte intimate with your machine... sooner the better.
Some things never change :12-14 volts, fuel, good coils, fair plugs and a little compression. But tracing the path of these simple things ...devils in the details.
Let us know concerning progress.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I might be talking out my ass here but I don't believe the CDI, Brain /what-have-you has anything to do with exciting the starter, nor fuel pump so it's either the Ignition switch, a relay (we don't have that many), or one of our many cut-out switches. Clutch, neutral, kickstand -some of the old Kawa tourers had a seat switch -pressure- like a big lawn tractor.
The first repair you make pays the $70.00 - $100.00 you might pay for the manual...just buy it! You won't regret it.
There will be schematics in it as well as flicks with arrows identifying all the important stuff.
Even if you are totally lame when it comes to mechanicals/electricals you can stumble thru this . We aren't doing an engine teardown in a parking lot after dark.
Not capping on you and if someone gives you the answer that's great but sooner or later you need to get a litte intimate with your machine... sooner the better.
Some things never change :12-14 volts, fuel, good coils, fair plugs and a little compression. But tracing the path of these simple things ...devils in the details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2000 gsxr 600 ran perfect till three days ago all lights come one when i turn on but when i go to start it it makes the noise of starting but wont turn over its weird it acts like its outta gas it will try to start then just make the clicking noise of starting but no turning over help????????

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
okay, like i said before the battery is fine, the fuses are good, when the bike is in the "on" position, the lights come on and everything, it just doesnt turn over (makes no whirling noise what so ever). and the bike does have a starter relay, could it be that, or what else should i check?
The key here is when you say "makes NO whirring noise".

That to me suggests you're fuel pump is at fault............connect it directly to the battery and check to see if it works.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Why? The manual is free online in pdf form in choc sig...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.