Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 SRAD 600 fuel in the oil.

Bike was hanging up at 3-4000 rpm's, thought it might be lean.

I had the carbs apart, cleaned everything, focused on the pilot system...but didn't remove the floats or clean/inspect float valves, float height looked good at 7mm.

Now I've have fuel in the oil, WOT to start most times, idle is erratic, sometimes it hangs at 3-4000 rpm and sometimes it doesn't

Any chance it could be the fuel pump, TPS or Solenoid Valve.

Or just the Float Valve system, O-Ring etc.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
yikes, stuck petcock, its vacuum actuated, stuck needle valves? stuck throttle cable, choke or fast idle cables?

dump the oil and either change or draw off the fuel, remove the filter and clean or change it, let the fuel evaporate so nothing funny happens, maybe turn it over with the plug wires off and spark plugs removed just to circulate any residual oil to get it out of the cases..

then with the oil out see whats happening, is the fuel leaking out through the? into the intake and down around the pistons into the oil?

obviously if the needles or petcock is sticking it may stick once and not for a while so best bet is to just rebuild both IMHO

its affordable and not too difficult, get the manual if you are not inclined then pass it off to a shop or find someone who will do them for you, maybe consider cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, clean tank and pump while your at it who knows what its been through, KNOW where that stuff is..

then install a Mosfet R/R w/mods sort wiring do typical related simple mods MCC and that's about it cept clean and pack all connectors with dielectric replace as needed and be done with it all...

seems people struggle with these two issues day in and day out, I went through my whole bike, replaced all bearings, hoses, some wiring, cleaned it up good, replaced anything it was missing even the lil rubber mud guard behind the battery it was missing I wanted every nut and bolt to be SOLID, nothing stripped or skanky, everything TIGHT, then I wanted every part the bike came with when new and I have it, totally restored, bout $2 all said maybe a lil more IO needed all new plastics too tho.. BUT I have basically a new 98 gsxr 600 w/ a used motor so worth every penny

keep good clean oil in it and clean filters she will run like a top for along time, fun bikes well worth it but no sense struggling with a 20 year old bike and having it break down on you when you can fix it all at once and have it square, got to stay on top of the carbs, winterize if you ride seasonal and the works like you would a snowmobile or lawnmower, yup carbs.. gotta do it with this alcohol in the fuel these days

occasionally I toss some Sea Foam in the tank just cuz, try to keep everything fuel related clean and dry or waterless

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the detail and possibilities.
SRAD has a fuel pump, no peacock.
All cables are good.
Took the carbs to a bike shop, they put them in the Ultra Sonic cleaner, went through all the settings and sync them.
All is good now.

I searched on youtube for Ultra Sonic cleaner, very simple to make, so now I'm going to build one. Probably use CLR as a cleaning agent.

I did actually drain the carbs and fill the gas tank plus added Seafoam when I put the bike away in 2012. Use that gas in my old lawnmower.

Oil and filter has been replaced...the motor is probably very clean inside!

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
hmm, fuel pump no petcock?

hmm....

you sure you don't have a 750 FI tank on there?

you definitely should have a fuel petcock on a 2000 600, a fuel cutoff as gravity will pull fuel into the carbs and overflow into the cylinders if its not pinched off

the 600 does have a fuel pump but a petcock as well may want to investigate this further, you may have just found your culprit?

2000 Suzuki GSX-R600 FUEL COCK | Ron Ayers

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 SRAD 600 fuel in the oil.

Bike was hanging up at 3-4000 rpm's, thought it might be lean.

I had the carbs apart, cleaned everything, focused on the pilot system...but didn't remove the floats or clean/inspect float valves, float height looked good at 7mm.

Now I've have fuel in the oil, WOT to start most times, idle is erratic, sometimes it hangs at 3-4000 rpm and sometimes it doesn't

Any chance it could be the fuel pump, TPS or Solenoid Valve.

Or just the Float Valve system, O-Ring etc.

Thanks,
Bruce
you need loon every carb disne i have same problem i have 2 disn broken and fuel is going to much in carb and put him to oil i change 4 carb put new now is good

·
Registered
83 Posts
hmm, fuel pump no petcock?

hmm....

you sure you don't have a 750 FI tank on there?

you definitely should have a fuel petcock on a 2000 600, a fuel cutoff as gravity will pull fuel into the carbs and overflow into the cylinders if its not pinched off

the 600 does have a fuel pump but a petcock as well may want to investigate this further, you may have just found your culprit?

2000 Suzuki GSX-R600 FUEL COCK | Ron Ayers
I have the 2000 srad 600 and can verify there is no external petcock

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You should have one. Post a pic of what you have?

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
the petcock is mounted to the fuel pump on teh underside of the tank, it should have 2 lines one larger than the other, the fuel feed line and the vacuum line to active the petcock when vacuum is present (running) like Slowrider says, PICS!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts