Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 GSXR750 with a Yoshimura Tri-Oval full ehaust system and Power Commander II. I'm used to riding Hondas and the the GSXR is a different kind of beast. First of all, is the idle supposed to sound kind of rough? Almost sounds like an old muscle car hitting its cam. I kinda like the sound but just wondering if its supposed to do that. It idles around 1200 rpm. Also, every now and then at night, my headers will glow red and occasionally when I'm decelerating, a little puff of white smoke will come out of the exhaust. How do you change your Fuel/Air mix? Thinking it might be running a little too lean or rich. Are these things normal? Just want to make sure my baby is in top running condition. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the smae bike, it is kind of loud but no where near a muscle car. To get the air/fuel ratio checked go to anyplace with a dyno they should be able to get it graphed out and they probably can change it for you too and make a custom map for your pc II that should fix the red hot headers.

I'm not to sure about this but i think my bike idles around 1500rpm's, also maybe you need to change the collant what's the temp range on your bike a normal range is 177 when riding fast, if idleing in traffic about 222.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the quick reply. To clarify, the idle is not REAL loud it just has a distinct "loping" kind of idle unlike a Honda, and for that matter, my old 93 Katana 750, for example, which has a steady idle. I was wanting to know if other people's GSXR's are like that? And yeah, gonna take it to get it dyno'd this week. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 03 750 has a lopey idle after installing a 2bros pipe. No amount of tuning has made
it better. Stock can back on it starts and idles better. I choose the lopey idle anyday.

·
Registered
830 Posts
GSXR motors have a strange sound like someone beating on a tin can.. every one of them do it.. kind of like how r1s and Rc51 have a whine to the motor like a gear drive.. just how it happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I checked with a Suzuki tech today and he said the GSXR's definitely have a loping idle even at stock and with a few mods, especially a full custom exhaust, it augments it greatly but is perfectly fine. I'm dealing with it cause I love my full Yoshimura Tri-Oval (RS-3) exhaust system but I still need to get a good map for my Power Commander II. The one I have right now is for an Akaprovic system and it is running too lean. If anyone has one for my setup, please let me know. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts