Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used 2000-02 inverted forks (750 or 1000) on their old school gixxer ('86-7), if so, any problems and what parts did you need.....

Thanks in advance....

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Both K1J and I are putting them on our 2nd gen (88-92 frame style) Both of us are running 1000 forks. I am using the brakes and wheels (600/750 on the rear) as well. I hvae been planning to mount the triples for the last two weeks but just have not gotten around to it. The upper bearing has been the only trouble so far as the lower bearing has the same ID as the 01 I just had a new tappered rollor for my 90 pressed on, for the upper I had to switch to a sealed roller bearing (like a wheelbearing) as the ID and OD are so close that they can not make a tapered roller bearing in that size. When I get it all mounted I'll take pictures and post the bearing numbers.
Bones

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bones.........Please post asap.....

There seems to be tons of newer frt ends all over the place for sale.....

A 1K frt end on my bike would be sweet.....

Pics and Part #'s........
Pics and part #'s........

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ditto! I'm interested also! My left inner fork tube seems to be damaged from years of wheelying. Would be nice to have a newer setup there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had a 97 750 front end on my 86 which will have similar problems. Made a new stem shaft to take the 86 tapered roller bearings the 97 has axial ball bearings and the 86 sterm shaft would not press into the 97 lower triple clamp the lower hole was too big. Then made a spacer to go over the top stem shaft to space out to the upper triple clamp. Used Kawasaki 320 rotors and front wheel as they are dished which allows the kawasaki speedo drive to fit and its the same ratio as the gixxer. All late gixxers use electronic speedos.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Just my opinion, but for the older frames, which are quite light, but flexible by today's standards, I'd strongly suggest a set of modern GSXR600 RSU forks, complete with all the adjustments (I don't mean the 92 vintage with the usd forks!). Their weight better matches the old headstock by far, but their adjustbility/tuning etc etc is way beyond that of the old non-cartridge originals.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Hey John,

I am in the middle of swapping `92 USDs on to my `89 right now... is there any real difference between the current-gen 600 RSU's and the original RSU's from the `89? The `89 RSU's had comp, reb, and pre-load adjustments. Are the newer RSU's any different?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I think '89 is the J model...frame somewhat heavier duty than the 85-86 vintage.

I've read some comments about the older (89-90) adjustments not making nearly enough diff...don't have personal on that. Do know that pre revalve and post revalve on my 93 usd's was like night and day. You might still have limitation problems...hard to guess.

It would be my HOPe THAT the newer rsu's would be better...then again the first gen of gsxr1000 forks were recall junk unfortunately, so you never know.

Keep posted on the results!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sorry I have not posted a response to this post but some Idiot crashed into my garage door on Friday taking out the lower two panels. I spent the last couple of days securing the garage and aranging repairs.I am ready to bolt up the triples all I have left is to remove the steering stops and slide in the lower. I purched a rear wheel from a 01 750 today but still need the front. This will not be a hold up as I am useing the wheel the front end came with so it will bolt right up. The rear will need to be adapted.
I will try to get to it on the 20th as I will have the 20th-22nd off but it is cold in the garage (temp here has been 25-31 deg
) over the last couple of days.
Bones

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bones.........Well keep us posted...

I have a great heater for ya.........Just have to drive to NJ!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the current 600 forks (which are nearly identical to the last generation 600's) are probably the best mass production rwu forks you can get. obviously, they're not 100% race ready, but you'll find that revalving (if you choose to) will cost a lot less than it does on other rwu forks....it's because they don't need to replace as much - showa did it pretty good right from the factory. overly soft stock springs are a given, though.

the current gen forks are also lighter than the older stuff, inverted forks included.

be warned, the stock damping of the 1k's kayaba forks leaves much to be desired. most suspension tuners consider it pretty bad - way too much compression, way too little rebound, and way too little effective adjustment range to fix either.

out of the box, the 750's forks work much better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jeff......By 750 forks....U mean say 2000-2002 forks?

Because my 89 forks are whipped.....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by z1bigtom:
Jeff......By 750 forks....U mean say 2000-2002 forks?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes, although i suspect these aren't that much different from the 96-99 750 forks (caliper mounting holes being one major difference).

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
the fork tubes in my 92 1100 usds are 52mm. the 1000 legs are 50mm. areny 750 usds from91-93 50mm? and if so couldnt we use the 750 triples to mount the legs? or are the 1000 triples a better angle or something? that way you wouldnt need to mess with the triples bearings not working????

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The triples for a 93-95 750 will tke the forks from a 1000. The difference than becomes re-mounting the calipers for the 310 rotors using the 95-down wheels. You could adapt the ZX-7/9r wheels you will get the dished 320 rotors that should match the calipers. The SRAD wheels should work for this as well (measurs the outside rotor face to Outside rotor face). The reason I'm going with the New Gen wheels is the fact that they are lighter. The triples are lighter because there is less mass, 3/4 in difference in center to center of the tubes than a SRAD. Also by adapting the 01 triples I can later switch to a adjustible triple from Attack,Yosh, or Kosman.
The goal for my 90 is for it to be a stock looking but modern Oil Cooler. So I wanted the white wheels (And Mags are out of the budget for this year)So the 01 wheels were the wightest I could find. It already has a Ohlins rear and needed the front end done. As the 01 1000 parts were easy for me to find (and cheap) I decided to use them. they will be rebuilt and the nitride by LE. The 1000 forks also need riser bars like TwoBro's or Heli-bars as they are the same length as the 93-95 750's. If I was doing a early 1100 and was not planing on keeping it forever I would just use 91-98 1100 forks.
Bones

1 - 17 of 17 Posts