Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its possible to fit a 200-50/17 on a 5.5 wheel....

Has anyone put this tire on a gix yet?

I know it will steer slower, but will there be any adverse affects to the bike?

200 sure looks sweet......

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Actually...

I never did the 200 on a 5.5 ...I have a 180 Pirelli dragon EVO on my 5.5 now and it works very well. Much better than the 180 Dunlop D207R (which steered too slow) ...I also fit a 170 on a 4.5" wheel before the swap to the 5.5"er and *that* was a disaster... it was "twitchy" and tended to have unpredictable steering. It's because when you put the wider tire on a wheel that's smaller than designed-for, it changes the shape of the tire... the 170 on the 5.5 would steer too slowly I'm sure. and I suspect that a 200 on a 5.5" will be unstable (like the 170 on the 4.5 was). That's this cat's .02 anyway.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
You will not have clearance between the brake stay on the RH side and it will hit the chain on the LH side. You can fix both these problems but then you will still have to deal with the handling issues.
Bones

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by z1bigtom:
I know its possible to fit a 200-50/17 on a 5.5 wheel....200 sure looks sweet......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is possible to put even 210 on 5,5", if you are just having good enough equipments for it.
I tried 200 on 5,5" but it looked awful!
I did not keep it there - it looked like not too good for driving.
It does not give the looks of 200, but it looks like having 190 with some really ugly profile.
Do not even try it...
it does not look like wider, but higher.
In case of you would still like to use 200 rear tire, I would suggest you to get an wheel of 6" or even 6,5". You get good money for selling the old 5,5" and with that money you can find an 6", which is much better for tires wider than 180.
Now I have 200 on 6,5" and it feels very good in cornering and with low pressures great for strip-use.

·
Registered
461 Posts
my roommate had a 190 on a 5.5 and it looked okay, but it was unstable near the edge.
stick with a 180.

even the 6" rim guys are swapping down to a 180

1 - 6 of 6 Posts