Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard somebody makes a 2 piece cover. Anyone know who? I just put my motor in the chassis, and realized I must have missed a valve (one little "tick tick tick"). Damnit, tried to get the cover off and there is NO way it will come off.

I really don't want to drop the motor again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i may not be the best person to answer this, but i will give it a shot. my 91 1100 has a crankcase breather cover on top of the valve cover. when i remove this, i can take off my valve cover on the bike. but as i said, mine is a 91 1100, yours is a 88 750- big difference! i have never heard of a two piece valve cover.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ya thats the same thing i did was remove the breather cover and out came the valve cover.... Also helps if the coils are out or just out of the way .....

·
Registered
124 Posts
If I remember correctly, Dechellis(sp) machining used to make a setup for that application. For exactly the same reason 7/11 valve adjustments. They used a neoprene type gasket that did not leak.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah 7_11, you're right on..In fact I think that he made some really nice stuff for 7/11 conversions (cable clutch conversion, etc)...Don't know if he is still doing so...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had wondered about doing this. I'm glad to hear it's possible. My 86 750 is becoming a 7/11 tomorrow so I'll have to wait till the next valve adjustment(engine out of frame) before I can do this. In the meantime I'll see if I can get an engineering shop to cut my 750 lid in two. Any other hints would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
The '85/87 750 frames were quite a bit taller and I believe might just leave enough room to remove the valve cover with the engine in the frame.

However, on the later model oil pumper 750 frames [88-92], you can remove the front engine mounts and slightly lower the front of the engine to get the valve cover off. I don't think it's that big a deal if you have to lower the engine every other year or so, heck once you've done it enough, you can do an engine swap in about 50 minutes anyway!

FWIW, the December 1988 issue of Cycle World had the famous first 7/11 project that featured many of Tony DeChellis' handy pieces. From what I've been able to track down, he is long out of the loop.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We were able to adjust the valves by pulling the motor bolts. The motor was in the frame but loose. Its a little (Okay a lot) Tight but it is doable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts