Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely incredible!

Learned a lot. About track riding and myself. I was doing things today that I didn't know I was able to do. Was very nervous for first couple of sessions but after working with the instructors I really started to relax and made great progress. But still very novice

Then lunch time happened lol this is where my day should of ended

I was hungry,hot,thirsty and plain giddy and I forgot to turn key off for our lunch break. Time to ride and battery is dead. Miss a session from that mishap. But an hour on the charger I'm back in business. Go out for the next session. Having a great time. I forgot to tell @tatersalad314 but I dragged knee on T10!!!!! Best feeling of the day..... T12, same lap.... I run hot into the corner, somewhere around 80+mph? Down I go. Slid and rolled a good ways in grass run off area. The bike apparently flipped. I didn't see it. But my right rear set is actually bent forward and it smashed my exhaust pipe. Pics coming soon...and a rebuild thread lol

I pushed myself too hard and ran out of skill. I didn't know where my limit was so I kept pushing until I pushed passed it and it cost me. But I wouldn't trade today and how stuff went for anything. Great first experience.

·
Super Moderator
14,989 Posts
First off glad you're ok my friend. Secondly, congrats on finally getting to experience the track. There's nothing like it. On the bright side of things you got your first track crash out of the way good and early. You're now a member of an elite club. Welcome to the family. Trust me you have plenty of company when it comes to track getoffs. :D

Don't worry, the other members of our club will be chiming in soon. Nice to know you're in great spirits. :cheers

·
Calamari
306 Posts
Thankfully you are doing well and have a positive attitude about the entire day. I'm glad that are able to walk away with a head full of new lessons and a heart full of gratitude. Sorry to hear about your bike.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Good for you for getting your knee down! When I got back and saw you loading up your bike my heart sank. Still glad you're ok. The entire day was a blast, doubt my Suzuki will ever touch the surface of a public road again :lol Sorry we were never able to ride together, but I was definitely taking advantage of the instruction!

TWS is a very fast track. Even as a beginner I was hitting T1 and T7 around 100mph. The first few sessions I focused on line work and body positioning and the instructors were a Huge help. I had an instructor evaluating me for 8 out of 9 sessions, not many others seemed interested in taking advantage of their service. Had the lead instructor follow me once which was great because he recorded each session and would show it in the class room so I was able to see myself. I witness 3 riders go down and I wish I decided to take my GoPro, I will next time. Thankfully they were all slower speeds and an ambulance didn't have to respond once.

The Q3s performed flawlessly. I'll definitely be returning to a 180 from 190. The 190 stole so much power from my stock 600. Never been that far over in my life and not once was I ever concerned about the grip at lean.

I spent session two practicing body positioning by myself since the instructors were loaded. Went back to the same instructor for session 3 and told me that I was in a different world and to keep doing what I'm doing. The only thing I need to work on is getting in the throttle sooner and harder. By session 8, aside from being fatigued, it just clicked. It was by far my best lap. Dave, the instructor I spent most of my time with pulled ahead of my in the pit and threw up his arms in excitement telling me how awesome and fun that was chasing me. I couldn't tell who was happier, me or him!

I cut my day short though. I headed out for the 9th session with one more to go. This was right after bueshy had gone down. After lunch my body functions got sloppier as I fatigued more. This shit is hard work! Saw someone go down in the back straight before T7 and the I clipped the inside candy stripe, which wouldn't be a big deal, but they are so huge it tossed me up in the air and threw me off line. Dave pulled up next to me and I signaled to head to the pit. I had PLENTY of track time for my first day and wanted to end it on a good note. Had a long talk with Dave before I left. He congratulated me and said it is all about seat time from here on out and hopes to see me again.

This was a really cool experience. I've officially caught the bug :biggrin I'm sore in places I've never been sore before, yet it is so rewarding. We were also the last group to ever ride at TWS. They are shutting it down. Pretty cool to be able to say we were there.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Another thought I wanted to add.

Pulled my first wheelie over a hill. Told my wife all about it saying I wish I had a voice recording of everything. I definitely screamed as I was hunched over the tank floating the front wheel back down. I did talk to myself out loud a lot. The most common phrase was "stop being a pussy, stop being pussy, oh my goooooddddd!" :lmao

One of the instructors was on a ninja 300, talk about a badass ride. Pretty sure he never touched the brakes running around TWS.

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the well wishes. Little sore on the left hip and side today. But absolutely no bruising or abrasions. My gear is the only reason i was able to walk away unharmed at the speed i went down. I hope that people understand that. AGATT

Yes wheelie hill was fun. i decided to pass a guy on that straight and forgot what happens when you get on it hard. Passed him doing a wheelie and felt like a douche lol

I did most of my sessions running around in 3rd and 4th. On the last session before my crash i started to push myself harder. Was braking later and started downshifing into 2nd. I started to get the rear wheel to kick out and slide a little and then id lean over. My confidence was building with every lap and i could almost feel when i was doing stuff right or when i did it wrong.

After looking a little bit more at my bike, the damage isnt initially as bad as i thought. Still gonna cost a bit and will take some time. But she will be back. And my little sister was looking at my bike and said, "Well, it sounds like a fun project to me, and now you have an excuse to rebuild it better faster and stronger." Smart kid. She gets the addiction lol

And just a side note: My bike performed amazingly. I have never pushed her like i had since i bought it and to see what she was able to do was impressive. The upgrades that have been done internally showed in the straights against the other stock 600s. Needless to say, my bike is powerful enough for me!

·
Registered
308 Posts
A bike is just a bike and the skills you've learned today could help save your ass one day on the road
I'm glad your ok, that's the main thing.
I'm also happy for you for getting your knee down for the first time, no mean feat the first time you do it, so that is a plus.
Well done, show us some pics and I hope it isn't too expensive.

Brilliant read this thread is

·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why do you feel like a douche for passing somebody? :shifty Passing is a skill we need to develope. It's not like you're flying down the highway at 160, it's a track!
Idk man. I think because I went out there trying not to compete, so my mentality wasn't to try and overtake people. On the main straightaway I had no problem doing it. I did it to you once lol But anywhere else I felt like I would have been showing off, or at least perceived that way. And we were in level 1 so even tho I have his helmet, I didn't want people to think I was trying to be Rossi. But yes you are 100% correct about it being a skill that we need to develope. With time I'll get there. I progressed farther than I thought I was going to in the first place so I am in no way disappointed. I think I'm still riding the adrenaline high today

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Idk man. I think because I went out there trying not to compete, so my mentality wasn't to try and overtake people. On the main straightaway I had no problem doing it. I did it to you once lol But anywhere else I felt like I would have been showing off, or at least perceived that way. And we were in level 1 so even tho I have his helmet, I didn't want people to think I was trying to be Rossi. But yes you are 100% correct about it being a skill that we need to develope. With time I'll get there. I progressed farther than I thought I was going to in the first place so I am in no way disappointed. I think I'm still riding the adrenaline high today
The front straight was aggravating. Unless I'm constantly living at 12k+ rpms my 190 rear was constantly stealing power. It definitely took time getting up to speed. I don't care for swapping sprockets... going straight back to the 180 :gaah

A couple of things I want to touch on...

Why are you so worried about how people view you? When I was passed a few times I only thought "HOLY SHIT! Where did you come from? What could I have done better in that corner that he did?" They gave us the ability to pass on the outside for a reason - never once did they say "don't be a show off". If you're powering into an outside pass, all that means in that you're faster than the guy in front of you and (hopefully) have a higher skill set to handle it. Again, it's a track, where else do you get to do that?

You keep mentioning that you weren't out there to compete. They used a rule of thumb stating if you ride over 75% of your ability, you're just trying to survive and aren't learning anything. This was certainly the place to push the limits much further than you would on the street, but going off course twice tells me you need to slow down and focus on the basics. Speed will come. Everyone's goal is to finish safely, especially being out first track day experience. That's what I encourage you to do - slow down and focus on the basics. Do self checks, take your ego out of the equation. The only time I saw you with an instructor was the one time with me, take advantage of it! Hearing what I did well and needed to improve on every single session made gigantic differences in my riding compared to if I were to head out on my own. The video footage was a great learning tool as well.

Hope you get it back up and running again soon. Let me know so we can go out again! I enjoyed the hell out of it. The tracks that I'll be sticking to now are the 2 cresson tracks and ECR. Let me know an ETA :cheers

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Congrats on getting out there guys! Sorry to hear about your getoff @bueshy, but glad you are OK.
@tatersalad314, once you are comfortable, you should be living at 12k+ RPM. It is a 600, they need to be wringed out.

Here is how I teach, not sure how they did it down there.

First, you learn the line.
Then you learn BP.
Then you learn corner exit.
Then you learn mid-corner speed.
Finally you learn corner entry.

Follow thise steps, and all will be good.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Congrats on getting out there guys! Sorry to hear about your getoff @bueshy, but glad you are OK.

@tatersalad314, once you are comfortable, you should be living at 12k+ RPM. It is a 600, they need to be wringed out.

Here is how I teach, not sure how they did it down there.

First, you learn the line.
Then you learn BP.
Then you learn corner exit.
Then you learn mid-corner speed.
Finally you learn corner entry.

Follow thise steps, and all will be good.
I guess you're right, I must still be in the street mindset :lol

That's a good order to follow! I found that my corner exits weren't always consistent depending on if someone slower was in front of me - I would tend to stay on the inside instead of float out. Once I pulled up my big boy pants and got in the passing mindset that all went away.

It sucks that @bueshy and I are familiar with the track now, but we'll never get to go again! All is well though.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Why won't you get to go again?

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Texas World Speedway is shutting down. If I remember correctly, they are going to use it for real estate and starting in July. It's a real shame, a lot of history right there.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Oh wow, didn't know that. Always sucks losing a track.

·
Call me Jake
269 Posts
Good job getting out there and having fun, guys.

Sorry that you had a spill bueshy, but I'm glad you're keeping a positive attitude and wanting to get back out there. Sounds like the morning went really well. Fixing the bike is part of the game, shit happens sometimes. The important part is that you walked away from it without any major injuries. Lot of people get discouraged after an incident, some never ride again after one. You've already got them beat.:thumbup

tatersalad314, no shame in packing up early if you've had enough. I like to sit out the first session after lunch usually, sometimes I even take a nap.:lol And yes, you need to beat the dogshit out of a 600 to make it work on the track. Ride it like you hate the thing.

I agree with Anthony about the order of priorities. It's how I was taught and it works. I still go through those same steps whenever I learn a new track.

It sucks that TWS is closing. Its disappointing every time a track closes down or has other issues that make it harder to ride there. Sound regulations at Laguna and Jennings for example...

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
I'm actually glad I didn't being my first track day. I focused on the line an BP and by the last two sessions I didn't think twice about them, it felt natural. That allowed me to really start focusing on power delivery through the corners. That's why I believe the last two sessions were by far my best aside from calling it a day. I'm glad I did that too! After lunch people were going down one after another. I might try taking a nap next time or at least sit out to have a longer break after lunch.

·
Move along, nothing to see here...
189 Posts
@bueshy glad your ok man. I've never been to a track.. Im a little worried God forbid something happens I wouldn't be able to replace my bike I just don't have the money right now. I don't think it's wise for someone like me to go do that if it's not something I can just walk away from. Seems like you guys had such a great experience I can't wait for my first track day. Where are you guys from in Texas? I'll be coming down there in June, I have family in lewisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
Houston and San Antonio areas.

Some insurance companies cover track days as long as it isn't a race, timed event, and an award isn't handed out in the end. Attending a track day organization is one of the most beneficial training experiences you will ever have as a rider. You don't have to be rossi out there - no one is practicing for a race in level 1! It's much safer than the streets with all of the hazards you constantly try to avoid.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts