Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to replace the shock on my 88 1100 and wanted to get some suggestions. Looking to improve handling and the stocker is toast anyways so I figgured on replacing it with something decent. Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
My choice is Fox, their customer service is top notch, and they have an excellent product.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by MrFixit:
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to replace the shock on my 88 1100 and wanted to get some suggestions. Looking to improve handling and the stocker is toast anyways so I figgured on replacing it with something decent. Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">After having used a Penske shock I don't know why would anyone use anything else. Even though Fox and Ohlins make good shocks they are still mass produced parts that come set up for the average rider, where as when you order a Penske, they ask for your weight and riding style and when you get your shock, it's already custom set up for you.

For a couple of hundered dollars more than a Fox you can get a Penske 8981 double adjustable shock, and for a couple of hundred more than an Ohlins you can get a Penske 8987 triple adjustable shock. The difference between the 8981 and the 8987 is in the remote reservoir, so you can start with the 8981 and when the need arises, change the remote reservoir to upgrade to the 8987.

Also, I don't think the Fox and Ohlins comes with ride height adjuster, where the Penske does.

Yancy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Ahh, my fox shock has sdjustable ride height...and all the other standard adjustments too...
-Karl

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
my Ohlins is made of unubtanium though! It has ride hight, compression, and rebound and comes with the remote res. Oh yeah so does my Fox
Bones

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info!
Looks like the Fox is more in my price range too so I'll go with that. Hopefully I'll get it around the same time my swingarm is done being braced so I can start putting this thing back together!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
To clarify about the ride-height adjuster... Fox shocks for the '86 ~ '87 GSX-R750 and '86 ~ '88 GSX-R1100 do not come with ride-height adjuster. For the same years/models I do not believe Ohlins shocks have ride-height adjuster either. So if you want a shock with ride-height adjuster for the first gen GSX-R you'll need to look elsewhere.

Yancy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by MrFixit:
Thanks for all the info!
Looks like the Fox is more in my price range too so I'll go with that. Hopefully I'll get it around the same time my swingarm is done being braced so I can start putting this thing back together!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since you are set on getting a Fox shock, I have a Fox shock for an '86 GSX-R1100 that is beat to death, but maybe a rebuild will bring it back to life. Fox lists the same shock for '86 ~ '88 GSX-R1100, so if you want it you can have it for free (you pay shipping).

Yancy

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by yanc:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MrFixit:
Thanks for all the info!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since you are set on getting a Fox shock, I have a Fox shock for an '86 GSX-R1100 that is beat to death, but maybe a rebuild will bring it back to life. Fox lists the same shock for '86 ~ '88 GSX-R1100, so if you want it you can have it for free (you pay shipping).

Yancy
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">darn!

I bought a used Fox and had it rebuilt (for free thanks Fox
)

Would have been nicer to get a free one rebuilt free

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I've got a WP on mine. I'll be getting it rebuilt by White Brothers while I'm away. Their service guys suggested I rebuild it rather than buying a Fox (my second option) but for $150 I can afford the rebuild. It does NOT have a ride height adjustment.

Oh, and the stock shock is rebuildable too.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Most of the Ohlins shocks either have ride height adjustment, or have it as an option.

Just got my non-ride height '93 1100 shock back from the CDN distributor/tuner, Steen Hansen. It was under $190CDN for the parts, labour, 'tune up' and freight. Not bad.

Penske make a decent shock, but to try to pass them off as something other than mass produced as well is quite incorrect. Any decent Fox or Ohlins dealer will check what you want/need prior to ordering the shock. As with anything, a shit dealer won't give a damn.

For example, PPS in California, the Ohlins distributor is top notch in their sales specs. Same for Steen-Hansen here in Canada.

What Penske still doesn't have is racing experience (with motorcycles). They only got into the fling in order to meet a contract with the first Harley Davidson AMA illegally sanctioned 'superbikes'. They (Harley) tried to make the bike as 'USA' as possible in order to market racing to their main buying public. Makes perfectly good marketing sense - but it wasn't very long before the Wilwood brakes and god knows what forks were turfed for more normal racing gear, including Ohlins front forks.

It'll take Penske awhile to play catch-up, if for no other reason than race teams won't like to change to an unknown unless there is major sponsor money.
They also need to get their pricing in order if they want to sell more of their stock. No matter how good they say they are, until they start showing up on the podium teams in GP1 and WSB, they will be much more ignored outside of the USA.

·
3,476 Posts
Posted by Yanc:
I have a Fox shock for an '86 GSX-R1100 that is beat to death, but maybe a rebuild will bring it back to life. Fox lists the same shock for '86 ~ '88 GSX-R1100, so if you want it you can have it for free (you pay shipping).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If MrFixit doesn't want it I Do! I've never seen anything as bad as my stocker

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I was dinking around with my suspension parts and pieces, and was wanting ride height adjustability and all that cool stuff, the guys at fox advised highly against it. They said (or at least the guy I talked to) that the link on the 86/87 gsxr's had been known to flip over if the ride height gets cranked too far up. Knowing everthing, and agreeing with what he'd said (mostly to get him to shut up) , I later tried fitting a braced 86 750 arm onto my 1100. Well, to make a long story short, I put it on (with the 1100 Fox shock) the ass end was up there pretty high, and the bike looked sweet, unfortunately the suspension worked like a peice (maybe even a pile) of shit...
Then it happened.... I lifted up the rear end to scoot it over and the bitch flipped over on me ! It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen! Damn good thing I was'nt on the bike!
Anyway guys (and girls) my point is, watch the ride hieght on the old 86/87 dogs . They just may rear their ugly heads and throw you off in protest!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts