Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSXR 1100 H 1987

Trying to remove airbox:
  • Removed alternator
  • Removed Carbs
  • Dropped engine in frame right down so gear spigot on frame
Attempted origami of the airbox. No good.
I really don't want to have to drop the engine right out but may have to, or someone may spot something in the photos and say you have to remove the carb engine mounting boots dickhead.

I which case I will take the engine out of frame to the right and drop further as the carb boot bolts / screws are ceased in. Actually ll try getting an impact driver iand see if I can remove them.

Any hints, suggestions to help me out would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,443 Posts
It's probably faster to rotate the engine forward. Loosen all the mounts, remove the rear upper mounting bolt, then the front mounting bolts and rotate it around the lower mounting points.

If you remove the carb inlets, replace the o-rings with new ones from Suzuki.

When removing the carb inlet screws, make sure they fit of the tool is good. The heads may be JIS, not Phillips.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Javadog,

Cheers for the pointer. I ended up doing just that.
Put the engine on jack, undid frame mounts, removed chain, alternator and pull engine out to right about halfway.
That gave me enough room to get the airbox out.

Success!!!

Don't know what an airbox is worth nowadays but Id rather keep all the original gear intact for when I sell it. If ever.

Now to reassemble and start her up with the new 36mm Flat slider carbs

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
kiwisuzuki1100
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing