Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if it would hurt the engine or clutch if I ride 1st gear over and around 10k for the 06 750. I know that for the 05 R6 you should shift below 10k (more around 8k) in first gear to second gear because it was a "problem" over 10k. Since I'm used to my 05 R6 being in the high revs (10k+) in 2nd gear when doing a turn, my 06 750 always has me below 10k, I think its around 8k. I am looking into doing the sprocket or the 520 chain conversion, but wanted to know if I could just ride out 1st gear until then. I do notice that while in 1st gear, its doesn't seem to pull and is not stable while being over 10k as being in second gear over 10k, maybe its just me. Any of the track guys or who ride the twisties a lot I would appreciate your response. Hope I made some sense, I am horrible at explaining things online.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
First gear is going to be your most unstable gear because of how fast the bikes revs are able to change. I usually only use first as a launching gear, once I am up to speed in first I hit second and stay with that for the most part. I dont ride anything SUPER twisty so I am not bogging while in second. If you are riding really twisty stuff, you might opt for a gearing change. The other option would be learning to control first gear better which is a bitch.
Best of luck and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and your time Ucigaragemilitia. I just wanted to have others input because there could be something I was missing. You know the saying,"he who knows all, knows nothing" or something like that. No one else has any input or is everyone in the same boat I'm in? I have already talk to Corey, so i might be doing the 520 and -1. I would really like to "learn" how to ride the bike as it is though so when I do switch i'll be even better :biggrin funny thing is that no one mention this when I ask the pros and cons of the 06 750. All i heard was get it, new bike, bike of the year, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just wondering, when you said you heard "you should shift below 10k (more around 8k) in first gear to second gear because it was a "problem" over 10k", what did you mean: engine problem?

These engines are BUILT to run that high and in fact run better up there. When I ride out first gear in a straight I will for sure ride it out to my peak power RPM, but if I am riding really twisty I will just get the bike up to speed and short shift to second.

My response was more based on bike control rather than engine wear/tear.

If you go -1 front, you will get a little more low end grunt which will allow you to run in second easier without bogging, BUT your first gear will be a little harder to control throttle wise.

I hope that made sense. :punk

·
Registered
333 Posts
First gear works fine from idle to redline, which is good because in the tight stuff you may have to spend some time there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking about the clutch, some of the 05 R6 had clutch issue when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Yea, I am hoping the -1 and 520 chain would give me what I need. Anyone experience with -1 then onto +2 later on. Any big difference and what is the benefit of +2 with -1?
Thank you

ucigaragemilitia said:
Just wondering, when you said you heard "you should shift below 10k (more around 8k) in first gear to second gear because it was a "problem" over 10k", what did you mean: engine problem?

These engines are BUILT to run that high and in fact run better up there. When I ride out first gear in a straight I will for sure ride it out to my peak power RPM, but if I am riding really twisty I will just get the bike up to speed and short shift to second.

My response was more based on bike control rather than engine wear/tear.

If you go -1 front, you will get a little more low end grunt which will allow you to run in second easier without bogging, BUT your first gear will be a little harder to control throttle wise.

I hope that made sense. :punk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.