Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this to their 1000K2? Is it just a simple matter of cutting the three wires from the generator and removing the magnets stuck to the cover and then blanking off the reg/rectifier, or is there some more....?

:banana

Dave

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
he wants to remove it for weight and save engine scavenging. he's thinking "race distance" it will run off the batt.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
davemfox said:
Has anyone done this to their 1000K2? Is it just a simple matter of cutting the three wires from
the generator and removing the magnets stuck to the cover and then blanking off the reg/rectifier,
or is there some more....?
Dave
You sound confused, are you doing this for real?
Why would cut the wires when they have a plug?
The magnet is bolted on the end of the crank, the coils are screwed on the generator cover.
You want to remove both.
Will you bump start it?
How long(time) is your race?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Don't forget to remove all of the starter gears, the complete stator/rotor assembly, and of course the starter motor itself. If you racing for longer than 10 laps sprints, then you will not have room for a battery big enough to run the electronics. I would definitely recommend doing several race stints and analyzing the data.

Oh....and bring your running shoes......1000's are a bitch to push start!

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
Don't waste your time, it rarely shows any hp gain over a decent generator. Ok mod to do on carb engines, but i've had them go flat in 15 minutes on the dyno!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It's for the track and you have to do it right. When the engine is running the voltage is 14.4v, so you have to rethink your lead acid
battery in a total loss system. It's a good modification for the track. The weight savings alone can be substantial.
For example my 14.5v 10Ah battery alone is 6lbs lighter than the OEM one. Now throw in the weight savings from the
coils+magnet+starter+gears, not to mention the lighter weight on the crank. It will always show a gain over stock and is
cheaper and lighter than a Yosh racing generator.
My k3 has an average current drain of 6A. My 10Ah battery would last for over an hour at that rate. My track time is 20min. so
plenty of safety margin. If you need a longer running time a 20Ah batter is only 1.6lbs more.
If you don't want to bump start it you can use a separate starter battery in the pits.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim Radley said:
Don't waste your time, it rarely shows any hp gain over a decent generator. Ok mod to do on carb engines, but i've had them go flat in 15 minutes on the dyno!!
I have been hearing that from a lot of racers and tuners alike. I think I'll let it be.

Thanks for everyones thoughts/advice.

:banana

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.