Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a different post a few days ago and it made me think. In that post they were talking about alligning the wheels. I have always just alligned with a allignment tool. in that post people said that will only allign the srockets. OK given that I went out and bought a rod for my tool that goes clear to the front sprocket and alligned with that perfectly. then i checked the hash marks on the swingarm and they are way off, as always.(a full hash mark different) I have always ASSUMED that if the sprockets were perfectly alligned then my rear wheel would be perfectly straignt. That post has made me rethink how alligned my bikes wheels are or how unalligned they may be. If the rear wheel is straight but not alligned with the front then how would I fix that. Wouldn't any ajdustment make my rear wheel unstraight? (if thats a word)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The alignment tool only ensures that your rear sprocket is pointed directly at the front sprocket. If the rear sprocket happens to be offset a little bit to either side of the front sprocket, then the result will be a rear wheel that is cocked.

What you really want to do is get the rear wheel lined up so that it is pointing straight at the front wheel. If the two wheels have any sideways offset from each other, your bike won't be perfect, but it will at least be the best it can be without frame straightening and/or custom spacers.

When GMD Computrack did their optimization on my racebike ('00 R6), they found that the front and rear wheels were offset from each other just a couple of millimeters. They put custom spacers in the front to shift the front wheel over the necessary amount to get them perfectly lined up with each other.

To align your rear wheel, you need to put a straight edge down both sides of the back tire, down near the bottom. Run these straight edges forward past the front wheel. You should adjust the rear wheel alignment until the straight edges are the same distance from either side of the front wheel/tire.

The easiest way to actually do this, is to get a long piece of string and loop it through the rear rim and around the rear tire and then forward. Take a couple of 2x4s and put a nail in each one and then tie the ends of the string each around one nail. Then the boards can sit on the floor and hold the string taut for you, so you can see how close it is to each side of the front wheel and adjust the rear until you get it perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts