Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read through 26 pages of posts looking to see if theres already been one about this, and im sure there has. But ill ask anyway...
do 1k cams fit in a '96 750? Ive heard from not-so-knowing sources that they do and they will result in a hp gain.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It's teasingly close, but they won't just drop in.

The lobe and journal spacing are the same. The journal diameters are the same.

The old motors use a roller bearing on the sprocket end, the new motors have a plain bearing.

The end where the sprocket presses on is also a different diameter.

With a lathe and some time on your hands, you could make it work. If you had to pay for the machine work, Megacycle cams might be cheaper.

The poor boy stage 1 1/2 for the carbed 750s was a megacycle 318x2 grind on the exhaust cam. This reground exhaust cam was used on the intake side, and the stock intake was used on the exhaust. The cam timing went from;

Stock
Intake .335" @ 243 degrees
Exhaust .303" @ 230 degrees

to

Intake .355" @ 246 degrees
Exhaust .335 @ 243 degrees

This is about all the cam you can run with the stock valve springs. It worked better if the compression was bumped.

This trick didn't work with the fuelie bikes because the intake cam had the cam position sensor on it. It also didn't work with California bikes because the intake cam was pretty sad. You had to know what you were doing to switch cams like this without bending valves.

The 1K cams are used in newer 750s for a cheap boost. If the 750 intake is used on the exhaust, the timing numbers are pretty close to the modified setup above. It's a bigger boost in the newer bikes because the newer stock exhaust cam has less duration.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Ok, going on from this then, will SRAD or K series 750 cams work in a SRAD 600?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow, good information. Are you an engine builder?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Ok, going on from this then, will SRAD or K series 750 cams work in a SRAD 600?

Thanks,

Dave

'96-'99 750 cams will drop into a '97-'00 600. I can't tell you what works best because I am not a 600 guy. I do know the 600 changed cams several times from '97-'00. You can use the 750 cams without worrying about having enough valve spring because the redline is the same as the 750. The Yosh Stage R cams specs for the K series 600 do look a lot like a '96-'99 750 cams. Stage R generally means you really need extra compression and a pipe to make it work. I would worry about overcamming the bike, which is a common mistake. All the early SRAD 600s were carburated, which makes cams with extra overlap a bitch to tune.

No K series ('00 - current 750, '01- current 1K & 600) cams will drop into a '97-'00 600.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts