Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 GSXR750 in 2001. It had been wrecked and we had to cut the frame in the rear where the subframe attaches. My riding partner is a welder and we welded it all back together. I have never used it as a street bike, but now that my racing days are over, I am renewing it to ride again, but this time on the street with some race days thrown in.
I started riding in 1960 when I got my restricted license at 14 and have spent my entire life riding and racing. This GSXR has been the most phenomenal bike I have owned. It is stable at high speeds, 185mph at Daytona, turns like a dream, and has never done anything nasty in all the years I have owned it. But it is time for a new paint job. And the last picture will be my choice. Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Helmet
Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Sports gear Helmet Motorcycle helmet
Font Electric blue Fin Automotive design Air travel

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Product

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome bike man. Good luck with the project. Do you still have the original road fairings or did you buy new ones? Nice plan for the paintwork, but I must admit that I like the flag paintwork a lot too. It gives it so much character. I'm a bit of a sucker for those kinds of screaming paintjobs.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
This is awesome! I agree with you, there is something special about the gsxr platform that keeps me coming back for more.
Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,647 Posts
Cool. Nice to see owners that keep bikes a long time. People dont usually keep bikes very long, especially sport bikes. But that could have more to do with the way theyre ridden and crashed, and their popularity with thieves.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I finally figured out how to switch the meter assembly from the '99 to a 2002 meter. Now to make a new bracket. The old meter had several issues.
Light Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Auto part
Gauge Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Measuring instrument
Motor vehicle Speedometer Automotive lighting Automotive tire Odometer

Reactions: DeMotorduvel

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
you gonna fab up a mirror stay? if you do make a template hang on to it I'll rent it from you

I did however rig a swiveling cup holder onto the stock cross bar, and it's good for mounting GPS so forth, phone so those may be coming back? lol

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you gonna fab up a mirror stay? if you do make a template hang on to it I'll rent it from you

I did however rig a swiveling cup holder onto the stock cross bar, and it's good for mounting GPS so forth, phone so those may be coming back? lol
I have everything I need, but thanks for offering.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks like a nice mod, that 2002 one is a good looking cockpit.

Does it give you more room on the right side, to fit a radial master cylinder? At this point I would like to put on a radial, but most of them are slightly too big and hit the original cockpit. Since mine is still ok, I don't want to risk physically breaking it.

And what an interesting steering damper config you have there, do you mind sharing a detailed pic?
Does it go from one of the fork tubes to a fixed point behind the clocks?

I'm planning on putting a steering damper on my SRAD '96. I don't want to mount it over the tank bolts, and don't have much room below the headstock. So I was thinking about side mounting it, like on the slingshots. But I'm open for better suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts

Does it give you more room on the right side, to fit a radial master cylinder? At this point I would like to put on a radial, but most of them are slightly too big and hit the original cockpit. Since mine is still ok, I don't want to risk physically breaking it.

And what an interesting steering damper config you have there, do you mind sharing a detailed pic?

I'm planning on putting a steering damper on my SRAD '96. I don't want to mount it over the tank bolts, and don't have much room below the headstock. So I was thinking about side mounting it, like on the slingshots. But I'm open for better suggestions.

I am thinking the same on the stay delete setup he is going to use, more room would be nice for the exact reason you mention, more room plus a cleaner look, I prefer the analog myself at least on the carby, maybe the FI this would be a better setup, definitely the stay delete for sure.. lotta guys might be interested in this stay mod and the upgraded clocks, hoping he documents this work for anyone interested, pinout and template for the stay..

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pretty sharp SRAD, I just about finished an AMA track bike to street duty, man I hope you saved everything..
When I bought the bike the stock fairings were trashed. I put Sharkskinz and Beasley Fiberglass on.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Reactions: DeMotorduvel

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 1999 GSXR750 in 2001. It had been wrecked and we had to cut the frame in the rear where the subframe attaches. My riding partner is a welder and we welded it all back together. I have never used it as a street bike, but now that my racing days are over, I am renewing it to ride again, but this time on the street with some race days thrown in.
I started riding in 1960 when I got my restricted license at 14 and have spent my entire life riding and racing. This GSXR has been the most phenomenal bike I have owned. It is stable at high speeds, 185mph at Daytona, turns like a dream, and has never done anything nasty in all the years I have owned it. But it is time for a new paint job. And the last picture will be my choice. View attachment 579663 View attachment 579665 View attachment 579666 View attachment 579667 View attachment 579668
View attachment 579664 View attachment 579671
View attachment 579670
View attachment 579669
I started riding in 1960 when I got my restricted license at 14 and have spent my entire life riding and racing. This GSXR has been the most phenomenal bike I have owned. It is stable at high speeds, 185mph at Daytona, turns like a dream, and has never done anything nasty in all the years I have owned it. But it is time for a new paint job. And the last picture will be my choice. View attachment 579663 View attachment 579665 View attachment 579666 View attachment 579667 View attachment 579668
View attachment 579664 View attachment 579671
View attachment 579670
View attachment 579669
I have a 99 750 and its my track bike. I noticed in one pic you had on different rotors. Any difference from the stock steel rotors?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts