Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! My first post here. I have a 1999 gsxr 750 (engine) that is to power my off road buggy. I am currently try to chase down a clutch problem. It seems that the push rod does not function. This bike engine came out of wrecked bike, so I was fairly confident that the mechanics of it were intact and working at time of accident. The engine has been sitting for several years. I recently got it installed in the buggy and I got it running, but the clutch doesnt seem to work. I've asked questions with some local yard type mechanics and followed their suggestions. I have removed the cover. I took the cable pull/cam mechanism off and cleaned it up..I noticed that the cam mechanism moves about a 1/4 inch out at full cable pull. Not sure if that is the typical amount of movement or not. After reassembling those parts, I tried to manually move the push rod inward. It seems solid and doesnt move at all. I took the short push rod out, cleaned it up and reinserted it. Sounds and feels like it is making contact, but doesnt move. Not sure if it requires more force to operate that I can manually apply or not.
Had someone tell me that they had problems with clutch plates sticking after sitting periods of months and they had to drive it around with clutch pulled in till it released or freed up.
I apologize in advance for not being more versed in motorcycle mechanics, but hope to learn from those who are experienced.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
It’s not impossible to push the pushrod without the cover/cable/lever, but it’ll be damn hard, not something your going to easily compress by hand.

Are you confident you set the cable slack properly? There should be very minimal gap between pulling the lever and making contact with resistance. Thickness of a nickel on the lever anyway.....if you are encountering a resistance like a solid wall , then chances are your going to need to dig into it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts