Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Im new to the forum, and GSXR’s.
I’ve just purchased a 1999 600 SRAD, as a lock down project.
The bike hasn’t run for 15 years.
It obviously won’t start, the callipers are seized, it needs new sprockets and chain, the forks are badly pitted, and seals gone.
The tank is full of rust, and throttle won’t return, so carbs are gunked up. But all the plastics are frame and swing arm are like new.
I’ve taken the tank off, and now managed to get the carbs off.
I’ve started to separate the carbs and seen that there is a little spring between each linkage. This seems to sit on a lug on each linkage. Before stripping down completely ready for ultrasonic cleaning, I’ve tried to reassemble the linkage. The spring is proving difficult to get back in place. Does anyone know if there’s a trick to this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I just gutted everything down to the aluminum and left them together for cleaning. I did have to separate them to replace a broken fuel tee between carbs 3 & 4 thought. Yes, it is a bitch. I used a fine scratch awl and a small flat screwdriver. Slip the spring over the awl and put the point on the lower pad. Push the top under the upper arm with the screwdriver and gently pull the awl out. Grip it with thumb and fore finger to push down and in to clip it on top pad....now crawl under the bench and find where it flew and start from step 1. Do this 3 times and it will work.

Pro tip: Tie a piece of kite string to the center of the spring. It will not fly as far and will be much easier to find when it does. I simply looped it around the wire in the center, not through it like a pipe and tied it in a loop. Cut it off when it is in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tinsnips,

Thanks for your suggestion, it sounds like a good idea.
I did consider leaving the main bodies together, but as the bikes been stood for 15 years, I want to get everything ultrasonically cleaned.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Gotcha. Also, if you do loose a small part on the floor lay your flashlight flat on the floor to shine the light. It will highlight anything small with a bright side and a shadow. Typically lit from above it is all bright, the extra contrast is helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts