Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, today when I did some routine checks on my srad, I noticed that my tail light was not working correctly, when I turn my headlights on the tail light stops working, this includes my license plate light, but if I push the breaks they light up still, and if I turn the headlights off the rear red lights turn back on again. Any suggestions on what I can do to try and fix this would be appreciated, Thankyou.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't know about anyone else but I didn't find that clear enough to follow. What rear lights stop working with the headlight on? The tail light or the brake light? Has any work been carried out on it since it was last working correctly? It sounds to me like the aftermarket lights have been wired incorrectly but without more information....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about anyone else but I didn't find that clear enough to follow. What rear lights stop working with the headlight on? The tail light or the brake light? Has any work been carried out on it since it was last working correctly? It sounds to me like the aftermarket lights have been wired incorrectly but without more information....
sorry yes the tail light stops working when I switch the headlights on, the break light still works, if I only have drl on then the tail light works fine, I have done no modifications to the bike for a few months now, it was parked in my garage for a few days and then this happened.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Most likely a bad earth on the lighting side ( brake light on a different line ). Check & clean the earths, clean associated connectors.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
go through all your switch and grounds, foot brake switch, front lever switch, hi/lo, all of em, everything

bike overheat at some point? R/R get hot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
go through all your switch and grounds, foot brake switch, front lever switch, hi/lo, all of em, everything

bike overheat at some point? R/R get hot?
I went through all the connectors the switches and the earth cables cleaned and checked then all they seam to look fine, the rear lights work when my headlight is off, it's like the headlights are using to much power and the rear lights don't want to work when they are on 🤔 I don't think it's overheated it has only been ridden to work and back, what is R/R?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I went through all the connectors the switches and the earth cables cleaned and checked then all they seam to look fine, the rear lights work when my headlight is off, it's like the headlights are using to much power and the rear lights don't want to work when they are on 🤔 I don't think it's overheated it has only been ridden to work and back, what is R/R?
R/R, regulator\rectifier part of your charging system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So do you think it's them then? As they are fairly new I did fit led headlight bulbs a few weeks back, coukd that be the problem?

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my experience, if you start experiencing an issue just after you've done some work on it, it's that work that is the source of your problem. Got a DT175MX that I thought I'd add led indicators to changed the relay to an led one and fitted the indicators.....switched to left or right all 4 came on like hazards. Problem was down to the way the indicator warning light was wired in. Without the resistance of incandescent bulbs the system as designed just wouldn't work. I'd lay odds you've run into a similar problem. swap your headlight bulbs back to originals and see if you still get the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my experience, if you start experiencing an issue just after you've done some work on it, it's that work that is the source of your problem. Got a DT175MX that I thought I'd add led indicators to changed the relay to an led one and fitted the indicators.....switched to left or right all 4 came on like hazards. Problem was down to the way the indicator warning light was wired in. Without the resistance of incandescent bulbs the system as designed just wouldn't work. I'd lay odds you've run into a similar problem. swap your headlight bulbs back to originals and see if you still get the problem.
The rear lights was working after the headlight swap for 2 weeks, but I'll change them back in the morning see if it helps, if that does not work I think I'm best taking it to my local garage 😅

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I fixed the problem, don't know how or why it worked, I put my high beams on and the pressed the start button, the lights flickered while the engine was on and then I turned the bike off and turned it on again with my lights completely off now they all work fine 😅 Thankyou all for your help 👍

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I fixed the problem, don't know how or why it worked, I put my high beams on and the pressed the start button, the lights flickered while the engine was on and then I turned the bike off and turned it on again with my lights completely off now they all work fine 😅 Thankyou all for your help 👍
Sorry to say it but I'm not convinced you've "fixed" it, more that the intermittent fault has ceased to be apparent for the moment. Too far away to be able to offer hands on assistance I'm afraid but keep an eye on it and concentrate on loose connections and bad earths if it happens again.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
yea me either, that's a weird fault and to just key it off or on whatever for a fix? perhaps something was loose or whatever and you caught it then keyed it and thought that did it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to say it but I'm not convinced you've "fixed" it, more that the intermittent fault has ceased to be apparent for the moment. Too far away to be able to offer hands on assistance I'm afraid but keep an eye on it and concentrate on loose connections and bad earths if it happens again.
You are correct sir, I have a new problem with my lights, I had a michanic check over the bike, as they obviously was somthing wrong, he said they was corrosion on some of the connections yet I'm sure I checked most of them, it worked fine for abit then last night, my clock lights and rear light didn't work at all until my engine was running for around 50 seconds or so, then they turned on, it did the same thing a few minutes ago when I warmed it up for work, the headlights are on but I have to wait abit with the engine on for the other lights to work 😅

1 - 19 of 19 Posts