Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 1998 Gixxer 750. It has a Yoshimura full exhaust and thats all that I know for right now. I need to give him a call soon....is there anything that I should look out for on 1998 Gixxers? Are they notorious for any problems?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Fuel pump gasket leak... Ask him if it has been replaced.

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
that and the main fuel feed hose was a recall item, very simple thing

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here's a little side note there... What reason could you guys think of that someone would convert a 98/99' bike to carbs from a 96 or 97? I would think FI would have the advantage for the most part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just got off the phone with him. He says the owner before him did that recall already(he is 2nd owner) Yoshimura Full RS-3, no power commander. 10,500 miles, new tires(I think he did an exploding burnout with the old ones from the pics he showed me of it). Says it has never been laid down but has crack in front left fairing near headlight from being strapped to a truck. How much do you think it would cost to get a new front fairing? And I'm also a little skeptical because he said this is one of the many times he has posted it for sale, he said people come look at it and then change their minds??? I dont know about that one......His asking price is $5000, how much do you all think I should offer him?

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
im not sure about the 98's but the model years surrounding them had horrible luck with the cam chain tensioner (CCT) even if its not been recalled, it should be replaced with a manual one---i think that is a MUST for any srad and newer motor. Fairings really vary in price and you should shop around (ebay) for the best deal. PM me if you would like me to headhunt you parts. Ive had good luck finding things for these bikes.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
yeh..what these guys said...as far as the price goes..as long as it in good shape that sounds fair..thats what i would ask for mine and i got 15k on it.....well after i get it fixed

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
its in the shop now..I just couldnt affford to ship it and all..I really wish i could have though, I'll find out whats up with it by the end of next week....i'll prob end up with total rebuild, ride it the rest of the summer/fall, then sell it next spring....I'm thinking of Tiller or hyabusa next year...i ride alot, so comfort is starting to come front and center in my priority list..i dunno yet though..we'll see...I'll make a post when i figuer out what happened to my bike...it may be the fault of the "other" suzuki dealer i had put in the cam chain tensioner...gonna just have to wait and see.

[ 06-16-2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: psycho750R ]

G

·
i got that model, previous owner did the recall, and i havent had a single problem ever....there are issues with the above for some owners, but i havent personally experienced it...i love my bike to bits!

just be sure to check her out thoroughly, you cna never just take someones word for it....

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
nolz--------even if yours has the recall-fixed cct in it, its still a bad part.....my reccomendation 2 u is to spend 50 and get the manual cct - end of worries really (except for adjustments)

scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok went and looked at bike today. Things I noticed...there is some sort of putty on the crank case cover and it was repainted black. Looks as if it had been laid down on that side. No plastic damage except for a few minor scratches and the front fairing has a crack in it. Chain is dead, rusted, dry as a bone, and kinked. Also I noticed that the rear seat cover does not match the color of the bike. The seat cover is pearly white and the rest of the bike is just white...tires are fine, but I can tell hes been doing some burnouts. Things that worried me....Would not let me test ride it on pavement, said I could only ride it on his dirt road....I think he might be trying to hide something. Also he says he used Castrol Fully Synthetic car oil in the bike....I'm worried about the friction discs. He was also missing some fairing bolts. Other than that, bike looked in good shape. His asking price was $5000 and when I tried to negotiate he wouldnt budge any on the price
. What do you guys think, should I go back and pay $5000 for this bike. Do you all think its worth it?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i here the words neglect, been thrown down the road and rip off. thought you could get a minter for that price ???? i'd walk away.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by dan uk:
i here the words neglect, been thrown down the road and rip off. thought you could get a minter for that price ???? i'd walk away.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd do the same...leave it alone..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I agree... Leave it... Keep looking, you will find a better deal...

John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, walk away and keep looking. I konw it maybe be tough, but it's better than ending up with a junky bike that may give you trouble and money later one. Also, you should be able to get a nice condition one that runs perfect for that price.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think the price is that bad, but from the condition of the bike like you said, I guess the fairings has been repainted since they supposed to be pearl white...
and if the chain has rust.. that means the onwer doesn't love bikes.. and just because of that/... you better walk away..

don't buy it....

there are tons of good ones out there.. be patient..

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
no brainer here....you wouldnt want that for ANY price....
some things arent meant to be and some things SHOULDNT be...this is both here.......keep lookin...its a good time to......
got mine for 5800, bone stock, all original parts (mostly) and mint body........

its really no wonder no ones fallen for it..

[ 06-17-2002, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought my 98 750 for $4800.00 with 4777 miles in Brand new conditioon i would ask him to drop the price.

Forget what I just said. I contiued to read on and I wouldn't buy it sounds shady. WOULD NOT TAKE THE CHANCE bent frames are expensive plus any other problems with it.

[ 06-18-2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Blackspeed ]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts