Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community, I have been scouring this site for a couple years now looking for information about whether there are other alternators/stators from different years that would bolt right in and work fine. I am skeptical buying used from ebay when they all have contradicting data about compatibility. To explain my predicament a bit: one day out of nowhere, my bike quit charging itself and died. I got it home put a trickle charger on it till the battery was full. It fired right up. I did laps around the block for about 10 min till it started backfiring/ popping then would die. Then no power to restart cause of a dead battery. To be clear I am not a mechanic and fear I would cause more damage trying to repair myself. Furthermore, all the bike shops around here are Harley shops excluding one suzuki dealership that is not an option because they were not interested in repairing it. They kept asking me to trade it in and get something new. I do not want something new. I want to fix my bike. They told me to try salvage yards. Now what do I do? So, i called one of the Harley shops in town. The one I called said he would not even touch my jap (expletive) when I told him what kind of bike it was. Am i screwed? I have found a new OEM replacement for over 800 dollars online but that is not an option. Hate to have to scrap this thing because parts are more expensive than the bike is worth. Looking for alternative options. Please, any help on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That link was very helpful. It at least gave a list of every bike that used that same alternator. Will be very helpful in determining if listings for other bikes will fit. Thank you for such a speedy response as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That link was very helpful. It at least gave a list of every bike that used that same alternator. Will be very helpful in determining if listings for other bikes will fit. Thank you for such a speedy response as well.
Your very welcome, always glad to help, good luck.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Do a search and you will find that the rubber coupler to the alternator may be knackered. Replace the coupler. To check it out remove the three screws securing the alternator, remove the alternator. Look at the rubber around the drive spline.
Later series alternators did not have the rubber coupler, and the drive shafts are slightly different in length. 750 and 1100 alternators interchange.

Reactions: Phruee

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Oh, and a dead or dying battery overloads the alternator charge circuit. They really only just cope with normal running loads.

Reactions: Phruee
1 - 7 of 7 Posts