Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a new chain and sprockets on my 1996 GSXR1100W, and I was wondering about the front sprocket removal. There is a clutch hose which seems to connects to a fitting right next the front sprocket cover. Do I need to drain the clutch fluids in order to replace the front sprocket, or is the front sprocket guard a completely different piece from the part that the clutch hose is attached too?

Andy

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Geez, I wonder if a parts fiche would have that answer, too...

Do we also have top supply the spoon that we feed you with?

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,606 Posts
Not many bikes that are over twenty years old come with a manual....

But thanks for being an ass!
Not the Dr. Seuss owner's manual that came with the bike, but a service manual...from Suzuki, Haynes, Chilton etc...one that helps you play "bike mechanic".

I appreciate that you are a novice, and you are trying to do things yourself...but judging from your lack of knowledge about your clutch slave cylinder, you would most definitely benefit from reading the service manual. Don't assume shit, you don't have to guess..the manual is full of knowledge, it will quickly answer all of your questions and guide you towards success.

Seriously, your repair project starts with the manual...download it, use your phone...I'm 50, I like a book in my hands.
There's lots of support here...post some pictures if you get stuck.

Once you're all read up...
The sprocket nut will be tight. Do you have a 1/2" drive air impact, or a breaker bar?
Do you have a 1/2" drive torque wrench for reassembly?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow... So much attitude in here!
I have owned several bikes over the years and I have purchased or downloaded a manual for each.
It makes more sense to me to have the manual and then ask questions about the bits I don't understand, or ask for advice from people who have done the work before. At least It's a starting point!
But then I like to figure things out myself when I can.
Everyone has to start somewhere though. The first time I rebuilt a car engine, I ended up having to do it twice to fix all the stuff I did wrong because the manual wasn't super clear. Sure wish I there was an internet back then! LOL

·
16,990 Posts
It's easy being cocky when you are able to let your fingers do the talking. You must be a snowflake!
First...
There are downloadable manuals all over the web.

Second..
Did you try searching the bike specific section?

Finally..
These guys have been helping new riders for years & they've gone over these types of topics many times, so cut them some slack.

It's commendable that you want to maintain your own bike, but after you become more familiar with your bike, you'll realize how squidly your questions were. And there's NOTHING wrong with that, we were all squids who started with zero knowledge of our gixxers.
Roll with the punches and you'll find a wealth of info here & tons of guys/gals willing to help you out.

:thumbup:thumbup

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you my friend. I ended up taking this bike to the shop to let them install the sprockets, chain, wheel bearings, and balancing of the tires. This bike also had a issue with the engine dying at random, which I had been trying to fix ever since I bought this bike two years ago. I wanted to ask some questions here, since my bike is an ex-race bike that was raced at the Michigan International race track, so where better than a Gixxer forum to ask questions about this bike, especially since not much of the engine is stock, and a factory manual may not be of much help when a highly modified bike is acting up. However, I learned really quickly that this forum is not the one that I will be using for any other possible future bike issues. I wish that people who are to smart to give a quick answer would just move onto the next forum question without feeling the need to take stabs at people like me who are obviously not on their mechanical know-how level.

Either way, the mechanical issues on my GSXR were sorted out after I contacted a race shop a couple of days ago. The shop owner took a couple of minutes to talk to me and gave me some great suggestions on what and on how to trouble shoot my bike, which I did, and the bike is running absolutely perfect now.

And yes, I know, I should use a manual. But to me, asking a simple question is sometimes easier, especially looking at the little play time I have.

Either way, thanks for your comment,

Andy

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
I have immense respect for the knowledge and wisdom around here, especially from the older guys, but the condescending attitudes these squids get is why so many people left.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
I have immense respect for the knowledge and wisdom around here, especially from the older guys, but the condescending attitudes these squids get is why so many people left.
Oh, what-the-fuck-ever.

So many people left because ALL forums are getting smaller, in general. All sport bike sales have gone down in recent years, too, so there is fewer newer people getting a Gixxer. There are hundreds of thousands of posts about the older models. so a lot of questions have been answered before.

OP showed up and asked a question that would easily be found in the manual. The most-typed sentence on this site is "RTM." He got the most common answer. I owned the shop manual for EVERY bike I have owned because anyone who wrenches on machinery either has to be an expert on it already, or buy a manual.

If someone has legit issues diagnosing a problem that isn't in the manual or something very quirky, you'll see plenty of help given. If anyone has an issue understanding something in the manual, you will see plenty of help given. Where you won't see help given is when someone logs on and doesn't even TRY to use the manual. OP has been obvious so far that he does not plan to ever use the manual and he is using this site as a free service to fix his machine for him.

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
Oh, what-the-fuck-ever.

So many people left because ALL forums are getting smaller, in general. All sport bike sales have gone down in recent years, too, so there is fewer newer people getting a Gixxer. There are hundreds of thousands of posts about the older models. so a lot of questions have been answered before.

OP showed up and asked a question that would easily be found in the manual. The most-typed sentence on this site is "RTM." He got the most common answer. I owned the shop manual for EVERY bike I have owned because anyone who wrenches on machinery either has to be an expert on it already, or buy a manual.

If someone has legit issues diagnosing a problem that isn't in the manual or something very quirky, you'll see plenty of help given. If anyone has an issue understanding something in the manual, you will see plenty of help given. Where you won't see help given is when someone logs on and doesn't even TRY to use the manual. OP has been obvious so far that he does not plan to ever use the manual and he is using this site as a free service to fix his machine for him.

Fair enough. But then I've got a forum post asking about rod knock that's gone unanswered for quite a while now. Removing a sprocket cover and changing a front sprocket isn't something I'd bother buying a manual for if I was just a casual owner. I own two different service manuals for my bike- so I hear you, I just don't get the hostility.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Fair enough. But then I've got a forum post asking about rod knock that's gone unanswered for quite a while now. Removing a sprocket cover and changing a front sprocket isn't something I'd bother buying a manual for if I was just a casual owner. I own two different service manuals for my bike- so I hear you, I just don't get the hostility.
OP's initial hostility? No idea where that came from. If you look at Biersto's post history, though, he is very helpful.

If OP had responded along the lines of "I don't have a manual and cannot find one," he would have gotten a response. Instead, he called me an asshole, too when I told him to buy a shop manual, AFTER he sarcastically stated his bike didn't come with an owner's manual.

For me, personally, I will walk anyone through any problem I see here, provided the OP puts in the effort as well. My expertise lies in electrical, so trust me, there are a lot of people lacking knowledge who need more patience- Electrical is intimidating and complicated. It's also new tech, basically, since FI is only 20 years old on sportbikes.

OP of this thread wanted to be offered info on a silver platter and even later admitted that he didn't feel a manual was necessary because his bike was "modified."

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
I'm and electrician working in controls and automation, I'm around operators every day who you'd think would care how shit works, but they don't. It's disappointing.

Takes all types, but yeah OP should have had thicker skin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another aspect to consider is: If an answer had been given, would it have been understood by the OP. Then, if he had acted on the advice, without the manual as a guide, who would be responsible if something went wrong. Sometimes it is unwise to provide advice when the advice could very possibly create other problems, particularly on a bike that has been modified.

The bike has been owned by the OP for two years, and yet he still has not got a manual, despite having "tried to fix it ever since (he) bought (the)s bike".

I've had my '97 GSX-R750 for two weeks and have sourced and received, by mail, each of the Haynes, Clymer, the Suzuki factory manual, a CD copy of the factory manual and one that I just, a few minutes ago, downloaded from a link in the Gixxer Forums. Another manual from the US was available to me for US$45 + US$27 p&h (to West Australia). I won't ride the bike until I am satisfied that it is safe and fully serviced. I would not consider working on the bike without a workshop manual.

The OP asked a simple question that may, on a modified bike, have required a complex answer. We are not told whether the "race shop owner", who gave the OP the advice that he needed, had the benefit of seeing the bike before giving the advice. Neither did the OP say, in his initial question, that the bike was one modified specifically for racing.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,606 Posts
OP is lazy and needs to be spoon fed...we can't fix that.

I've mentored apprentice heavy duty mechanics for over 25 years, in oil & gas. We are all capable of learning. If you say you can't do something, you're right...you won't.
It is a reasonable expectation for someone to initially try and figure out problems for themselves, whether that requires analytical thought, some reading or a little hands on investigation.
Most of us are willing to help someone, who has first attempted to help themselves. That life lesson doesn't only apply to the work place. Excuses are just that...

A motorcycle clutch is actuated with a hydraulic slave cylinder, or a cable, a lever, a linkage etc...it's not rocket science. Stock or modified, 5 or 500hp, they're all pretty much the same. RTFM.

In the end, OP paid someone else who was competent, to do the job that he didn't have the time for, or the necessary skills...and that works too.

Cheers,
Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
Beairsto Racing
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing