Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank this forum for the tips ive already used. bike has sat for a long time. alraedy removed carbs and cleaned them.bike was a theft recovery so the original sw was destroyed. a friend of mine let me borrow 1 from an older model 1100 but its not exactly the same. it has 4 wire mine has5. all colors are the same it just has 1 less orange so i jumped the 1 to the other.bike will crank, and all lights work but no spark when cranked.by passed kickstand switch. it was bad.checked wiring from clutch and someone already bypassed it.installed a new battery but it does crank kind of slow? does that cause spark issue?any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
3 Posts
The older GSX-R 1100 ignition switch has four wires, whereas, the newer GSX-R 1100 ignition switch has six wires. One of the two extra wires goes into the ignitor module. In order to provide the function missing in the older ignition switch, you need to manually short the "solid-black/white-stripe" wire and the "solid orange/red-stripe" wire together. Perhaps you can use a toggle switch for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick response.ill give that a shot.spent a good part of the day in the garage with little success.really had me racking my brain.whats left of it.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
BTW: When you short the black w/ white stripe and the orange w/ red stripe wire you also need to solder a 100ohm resistor in the middle or you won't get spark from the computer. It's a anti-theft feature that Suzuki put into the 94+ key barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I had this same problem about three years ago when I switched wiring harnesses and ECU's to the 94+ spec ECU. The bike would run the starter but would not fire the coils. I broke open a messed up ignition barrel and found that damn resistor in there. I then made the wiring mod and heat shrinked it together (after solder). You can find the resistor at a local electronic store or Radio Shack. After I did that mod the bike started just fine.

I will maybe do something similar because my 92 frame has the lugs for the ignition barrel that has the square part that pops out when you turn the key to "Lock" and my 95 frame uses the round part that pops out. (I can't lock my steering is the problem). I might just put a 92 upper triple clamp and a 92 ignition barrel (modded of course).

I don't usually leave the bike parked anywhere that I can't see it but it is still good insurance to make sure the steering will lock when you need it to.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I will post a picture of the resistor you need. I have the bottom of an EMGO replacement ignition barrel in my tool box. I am 99% sure it is a 100ohm resistor but I would take the picture with you to match up the colors. Also the EMGO doesn't have the orange w/ red. It is orange w/ yellow. :dunno why that is.

I just used a online resistor identifier and it is 100ohm +/- 5%

What looks like "red" on the resistor is actually "brown". The thing is so tiny I am surprised the camera even focused on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the usefull info.went to radio shack and bought a 100 ohm resistor.the bike fired right up. I even had 1 plug removed and laying on frame to test for spark.when I first hit key it tried to fire.thanks again for all the knowledge sharing.cant wait to ride this beast. it sounds like a big block compared to my old 900 supersport.you guys rock

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
thanks for all the usefull info.went to radio shack and bought a 100 ohm resistor.the bike fired right up. I even had 1 plug removed and laying on frame to test for spark.when I first hit key it tried to fire.thanks again for all the knowledge sharing.cant wait to ride this beast. it sounds like a big block compared to my old 900 supersport.you guys rock
:punk

So the resistor trick did it for you? That is awesome!!

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
You sound surprised, UTP...:shifty :lmao
Nah, not surprised. I was just hoping I gave him the proper information to get on the road. I know I went through the exact same problem and my memory of the fix to get it to work was a little cloudy. :lol

I still have my modded '93 ignition barrel somewhere in a box in case I need it. There are just way to many boxes to look through to find it. :banghead

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry. yes the resistor did the trick. thanks again.went ahead and got the full ignition from dealer which includes ignition,gas cap, and seat lock all with the same key.just wanted to hear the bike run before I pluncked money in it.

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,898 Posts
Good stuff! :burnout

I was just pulling UTP's chain with my last! :biggrin

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
sorry. yes the resistor did the trick. thanks again.went ahead and got the full ignition from dealer which includes ignition,gas cap, and seat lock all with the same key.just wanted to hear the bike run before I pluncked money in it.
Did you buy those parts new? I was wondering what a whole matched lockset with gas cap costs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts