Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I just joined here because I found a couple other threads related to my concern but no one answered with information like I needed. I have a 94 1100 that I'm restoring/repairing with my brother in law. It's his bike but I'm the mechanical one and the one with a heated garage for winter projects and tools. The bike ran last year - not well - but it was drivable. It had a combination of ignition issues and fuel delivery issues I believe after riding it several times. I started tearing into it today and the bike wouldn't even fire on a shot of ether. Checked spark and I have nothing at the plugs. I want to know what the resistance specs for the coil wires to the coils should be (I'm guessing 20k-30k ohms?) and what lead I should test to (I'm guessing the top pole on the coil where the white wire is - signal right?) I want to know what the internal coil resistance spec should be between the poles on the coil (less than 5 ohms probably?) and what the tolerance should be. And under what circumstances should I be getting battery voltage to the red wire (I think it's red - wires are slightly faded and dirty)? I'm guessing either constant 12v or 12v when cranking the bike. If I'm not getting full voltage (like 10v) will the coils not fire? Does the battery have to be completely 100% charged to fire the coils? Should I just replace the coils/wires and plugs? Should I replace the CDI box? Is the trigger voltage to the signal wire from the crank angle sensor also 12v or is a 5v signal like on automotive sensors? My background is mainly small engine repair (like lawn mowers, chainsaws, go karts, etc.) and automotive (my full time job is a Ford technician.) So that's what I'm familiar with. Thanks for any help or insight you can give me!

·
Juvenile Thinker
292 Posts
Coil resistance should be 2.4-3.2 ohms (primary measured from + to - tap) and 30-40 kohms (secondary measured between plug caps)
Signal generator resistance should be 135-200 ohms (measured between pins on the connector located under the seat)
These bikes don't like firing with a weak or questionable battery.
The orange/white wire to each coil should be constant 12v when ignition is on and all the interlocks are engaged (i.e. kick stand switch, neutral switch, clutch switch). These old bikes have a history of issues with the connectors between the bike and the fairing getting corroded and melting so check those and clean them up well, as well as the interlocks. You can find the wire diagram online.
Another work around is to ditch the coils and go to COPs, theres a how-to on here about it. I did it to all my GSXRs and it works well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts