Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was hoping you could answer a question for me. I have a 1993 Gsx-r 750w with a Yoshimura RS-3 full exhaust, air box with K&N filter. I am not the original owner but I believe the rest of the bike to be stock. Can you help me with the carburetor settings? Jet size, needle, etc. I have tried a couple different main jets and needle setting but keep having the same problem. The bike starts and idles ok and really flies on heavy throttle but the mid range (cruising speed) between 4-6 rpm is terrible, it stumbles all over itself and is miserable to ride. I am an alright mechanic but sometimes get lost in terminology, so if you could 'dumb down' your answersI would really appreciate it. Thank you all for your time!!

Dying to ride,

Dan

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
ok start with telling us what jets and needle clip you are at right now. How about your mixture screws, how many turns out are they?

Do you know what jet kit it has in it, Factory Pro or Dynojet?

Where are you at? Location...... elevation.....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
GixxerRacer317 nailed it,pull the carbs and start from scratch,do it once and do it right,there's no guessing when it comes to jetting.Pull the carbs off the bike and remove the pilot,main, needle jets, and emulsion tubes,Record all the numbers on all the jets and note what notch the needle clips are at,also note how many turns out the pilot screws are.You will need to check float height as well. If the emulsion tubes have no part # I would bet that you have a factorypro kit in it,if there are #s on it then you probably have a dynojet kit,or you may have a hacked on turd that some jerkoff butched and should start from scratch...Keep posting...good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Thank you both for your help, I'm going to try what you suggested, pull it apart and start over. Maybe buy the dynojet kit. Any idea which one? I think the last thing I tried was 115 main, needle all the way up and pilot screws at 4 1/2 turns out. I did not check the float level but I have the service book so that shouldn't be a problem. Not sure if it even has a jet kit installed. It's probably the hacked on turd! I really didn't expect a response because I've never posted before so thank you both again!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also forgot to mention it has a Factory ignition advance on it, wil this affect the jetting? And why can't I just buy the right main jets for a couple bucks instead of the $180 jet kit?
Thanks again!

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
The problem you are describing with 4-6K stumbling I would say is overly rich on the mixture screws and by running the smaller main you were trying to compensate with the needle running it high on the clip......

You might want to try it like this...... If you have a Factory Pro Jet kit I do not reccommend trying a Dynojet kit. Stick with the Factory Pro kit.

These are Factory Pro's suggested starting point.

Main Jet: 117.5
Needle clip: #2 (counting from the top)
Mixture Screws: 2.5 turns out.

Try this then come back and tell us what it's doing before trying anything else.

For what it's worth these are the settings I'm using and they are near spot on. I could probably stand to go out on the mixture screws another 1/2 turn but it's good enough as it sits to not fiddle with it.

Oh and the advancer isn't going to hurt you....

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
The problem you are describing with 4-6K stumbling I would say is overly rich on the mixture screws and by running the smaller main you were trying to compensate with the needle running it high on the clip......
Just what i was thinking, don't really like seeing the clip at the top, means that you are going to have to set something else just to compensate for it. I usually run my at # 3, but I have a slightly different set up, but go with dan, he won't screw you around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, something for Pilot Screw setting for Suzuki GsxR 750 W 1993 ??? pls How much, turns out on Pilot Screw ??? or full specification pls for MIKUNI :) :dunno:banghead I have Remus exhaust, original air filter. Now my bike pilor screw is on 1 and 2/4 turns out and the spark plugs is very white. I don't know, maybe 2,5 or 3 turns out ????

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,906 Posts
Yes. 2.5 or 3 turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts