Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, well I have been on the hunt for a 92 GSXR 600w for a couple years now. I bought one new off the showroom floor in 93 as a leftover and logged over 32k miles on it. It was a great fun bike for a number of years. About 2 years ago I found a set of NOS side panels for a bargain at a swap meet and the bug was planted again! I loved that red/white color scheme, and wanted another one. I've been searching since then, but have not had much luck finding a good example, so I've switched to plan "b".
A friend of mine had a donor bike that he gave me but ended up being more of a project than i wanted to work with. However I started acquiring parts with the intention to build out the 600 motor. As you guys know not a ton of OEM parts are still available, so when I happened upon an 1100 motor the project has taken a new turn. I'll try to document my progress here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to pick up the motor this afternoon, and perform a cursory assessment of it's overall condition. Internally it looks super clean. No sludge in the pan at all. Gears look good and intake and exhaust ports look decent. I was unable to locate my compression tested and leakdown tester does not have the adapter for the small plugs, so I opted to at least check valve clearances. Everything is within spec so I won't even have to replace shims. Here's some photos of the motor and a comparison of the 1100 pan and the 600 pan as well as the 600 stock headers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's going to be a little slow going for a while as the frame is in my basement for the moment and I just dropped off the wheels for fresh powdercoat. Once I get those back and mount some rubber, I can transition to my space limited garage. Anyway, got the gasket for the oil sump, installed the 600 pickup and sump pan. Also installed the 600 oil cooler. Here's a few shots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drug the frame out of the basement, and was able to fit the motor. It seems everything lines up as expected and I don't think with the 600 frame there are any clearance issues since it doesn't have the same frame brackets the 750 does.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have exactly the same bike in almost showroom condition, been dry stored for years.

Not sure how to add a picture, but happy to send you a few,

Great project you have going

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I am in the UK and the bike is\was a Euro bike.

Its not UK registered, I have never ridden it, just stored, it is well lubed up in the bores etc and has a sump totally full of oil, no petrol in the tank, carbs etc etc so stored best you can.

Over the years the tyres have gone hard, so its prob best parked up.

Only non standard bits are the front indicators and grips, I have these in a box, somebody said the rear disc is non standard but I dont know for sure.

I dont think theres another in the UK, seems a rare bike.

It made its way here from Netherlands via a US airman from California, I have all the docs.

There now you know as much as I do!

I will keep checkin back on your project, looks like I now know how to post pics up :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
9 Participants
Plaggy
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing