Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I have the low low on a 1991 gsxr750 chassis that needs a little TLC. The engine has 34k on it and I was wondering if a 92-95 h2o cooled engine will fit into the 1991 chassis without mods? I know i've seen it done, but can't seam to find the information to see how diffacult it really is. The other option is to rebuild the stock oil cooled engine. Feel free to e-mail direct and/or post. Thank you.

Trey

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
it's alot of work to mix engine/frame families like that...there is some cutting and relocationg of the motor mounts...from a shop owner i would recommend you just rebuilding your oilcooled engine...thanks!!

dwayne

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Go with a 86-92 1100, Katana 1100, or Bandit 1200. They "Bolt In"
Bones

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I was afraid of the mixing of oil and h2o stuff. Looks like a rebuild would be in order. I'm seeing that those air/oil hedas aren't so bad - if ya keep 'em running. I appreciate the advice with bigger engines, but i'm trying to stay with the 750 mill - plenty of power, torque, etc. for my taste. My formula for sucess is 4-to-1 (4 horse to every pound) - I don't need much more for what i'm doing... Thank you, and please keep the ideas coming.

Trey

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Trey - let me know if you find someone in our area that can do quality air/oil engine work (besides a dealer) without charging too much $$$.

·
Registered
763 Posts
RustyGixxer,

I have a friend who fabricates billet pieces, and he has a water-cooled 1100 motor in an 88 GSXR 750 frame. It consisted of custom brackets being made. This is a pretty good combination if you are in a HOT Temperature state. His water-cooled 1100 motor is bored 1147 and has a bunch of mods to it and never even got hot in Daytona last year or at Myrtle Beach, and the bike looks trick.

Send me a PM if you want more info about having him customize some mounting brackets for the newer motor you may try and use. Not sure what other motor will fit with out there being allot of changes to the tank etc. due to the motor angle.

I have also seen a Harley Sportster motor in our 88-92 GSXR frames too. So, it can be done.

GOOD LUCK,

JDB1371

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by RustyGixxer:
My formula for sucess is 4-to-1 (4 horse to every pound) - I don't need much more for what i'm doing... Thank you, and please keep the ideas coming.

Trey
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Think you got that backwards bud, unless you can build a 1200-1600hp 750cc, if you can you ARE the man.

You mean 1hp:4lbs of weight, so aprrox a 400lb bike=100hp, unless fo course you are building a 25 lb bike!!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops, yuppers on the question on 4:1... 4 lbs of weight to every HP, so a 400 lb bike making a 100 bhp is what i'm after. Thank you.

trey

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Originally posted by gsxr12161216:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by RustyGixxer:
My formula for sucess is 4-to-1 (4 horse to every pound) - I don't need much more for what i'm doing... Thank you, and please keep the ideas coming.

Trey
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Think you got that backwards bud, unless you can build a 1200-1600hp 750cc, if you can you ARE the man.

You mean 1hp:4lbs of weight, so aprrox a 400lb bike=100hp, unless fo course you are building a 25 lb bike!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats what I need 1200hp!

As for the weight, a 1100 engine weighs about 18lbs more and puts out about 135hp stock (depending on year) and a big bore 1340 adds no weight and can push the HP to 185! this is the reason Yosh Endurance Bikes used the 750 chassis and the 1100 engines. I went to the 1100 engine in my 88 750 in the winter of 89 and have no regrets. I've even had about 5 other AO bike and that one is the only one (until my 90) that I would never think of selling.
Bones

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would really like to build a 7/11, but my insurance company is really tight about mods... They actually told me that by adding a can and jet kit, they would have to send me to high risk - which would tanslate into almost quadrupling my rates. The irony is that I can buy a GSXR1100 and the insurance is only $3 more a month... But the baby I really want is the bargain - any year Ducati 916/996/998 (standard, S, SPS, or R model) - under $30 a month ($200/$500 deduct, full coverage). Anybody know where I could get cheaper insurance?

Trey

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
UUmmm....don't tell 'em.
If you wrecked, they wouldn't cover most mods anyway.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spike, yea, i'm already onto the game... I am planning on a jet kit and can anyway, but mostly everything else will be cosmetic, and/or to simplify things... So far, it's looking like a rebuild of the engine - balanced and blue printed of course - and stripping it down to the bare minimum to keep it rolling! This will be a complete rebuild from the ground up!

Trey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts